Sunday, 27 August 2017

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 27-8-2017

Bleugh … 

He says …

It’s a it’s a Sunday morning: and I’ll happily admit, going back to bed has a lot of appeal.

But … ?

Well, work calls … 

~≈Á≈~

Oh, have you been watching Game of Thrones?

I have, on and off.

This year’s seventh, and penultimate, season, is coming to it’s expectedly big climax.

And looking rather good.

Personally, though?

I still think Maisie Williams — Arya Stark — did a better job in series 9 of Dr Who … !


~≈Á≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) Moldova declared itself independent from the USSR: on 27th August,  1991.   What’s the capital of Moldova?
Q2) The BBC made its first overseas broadcast: on 27th August, 1950.   Across what: the English Channel, the Irish Sea or the Atlantic?
Q3) The world’s first jet powered plane — the Heinkel 178 — made its first flight: on 27th August of which year?
Q4) The east coast of the US was hit by a hurricane: on 27th August, 2011.   Which hurricane: Henry, Irene or Jane?
Q5) Finally … The sacking of Rome ended: on 27th August, 410 AD.   The Visigoths sacking it were led by whom: Alaric, Alan or Algernon?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 26th August, 1978, saw Albino Luciano elected as Pope John Paul 1st.   In which year did he die in office?
A1) Thirty-three days later: on 28th September, 1978.   The conspiracy theories started five minutes after his death …
Q2) Which volcano started erupting: on 26th August, 1883?
A2) Krakatoa.
Q3) Sociedade Esportiva Palmeiras was founded: on 26th August, 1914.   What is Sociedade Esportiva Palmeiras: a football team, a baseball team, or a Kabaddi team?
A3) A football team.
Q4) Sir Robert Walpole was born: on 26th August, 1676.   Britain’s first Prime Minister was also its longest serving.   He held the position for how long: 10, 15 or 20 years?
A4) 20 years.
Q5) Finally … 26th August is the feast day of David Lewis: one of forty English or Welsh catholic martyrs.   He was what: a Benedictine, a Jesuit or a Franciscan?
A5) A Jesuit.
Here’s a tune by Leon Theremin … 


And a thought …
“There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it.”
Man Ray, August 27, 1890 – November 18, 1976.
Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Movie priests are mostly Jesuits, Olga?   There’s possibly an IMDb list about that … !   Now I think it of, though?   Were the two priests in The Exorcist, Jesuits?   Hang on, Father Karras was.   Well … Saturday wasn’t bad: today and tomorrow, when the buses kick in?   Is going to be fun!   (At least I’m not over a pub: unlike some of the posher flats in Brentwood High Street: they’re opposite the Sugar Hut and over a Slug and Lettuce.   They get the noise … and the cast of The Only Way Is Essex.   Dratted thing!)

†        I wouldn’t know where to start, Debbi: I’d have to fins the exact folder where the voices are stored, and replace it … Oy!   (Yeah, Walpole hung around for a while …)

2 comments:

  1. Q1) Chișinău
    Q2) The English Channel
    Q3) 1939
    Q4) Irene
    Q5) Alaric
    Good luck with the buses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He sure did! :) I can only hope that our current "President" keeps it to four years or less! :)

    1. Chișinău
    2. the English Channel
    3. 1939
    4. Irene
    5. Alaric I

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.