Tuesday 18 February 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 18th February. 2020.

18th February, 2020.


Right then … 

THAT seemed to work.

As you know, and as far as I know … ?

I’m in line to get a cheap laptop for my birthday.

And thinking of putting the open source operating system, Ubuntu, on the thing.

To that end, I’ve been eyeing ways of making an installer: out of a disk image, and a USB stick.

Which HAD proved difficult.

At least with the copy of balenaEtcher I have.

So I used the Terminal commands on Ubuntu’s page.

Which didn’t work: as the files I had weren’t gzipped* files.

I did frantic hunting.

And eventually got a suggested set of Terminal instructions from Quora.

To cut a long story short?

The process seems to have worked: as, when I plug the stick brought up the macOS dialogue that asks what to do with an un-initialised USB stick.
Usually, it should show up either with that warning … or one that tells me it has no mountable file system.

Which means?

All I need to do now, is check whether this is now an Ubuntu installer on a PC.

Looks like I’m walking to the library … 

~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 18th February is the feast day of Saint Colmán of where?
Q2) That where is also called Holy … what?
Q3) Which African nation became independent from The UK: on 18th February, 1965?
Q4) Lulu got married on 18th February, 1969: to musician, Maurice Gibb.   Which band was Maurice a member of?
Q5) Finally … 18th February, 1955, saw the start of Operation Teapot: a series of US nuclear tests.   The tests were carried out in a missile range, in which US state: new Mexico, Nevada or California?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 17th February, 1864, saw the H. L. Hunley become the first submarine to sink a battleship.   During which war?
Q2) 17th February, 1934, saw the birth of Australian comedian, Barry Humphries.   On, of his characters, Sir Les Patterson, is a cultural … what?
A2) Attaché.
Q3) 17th February, 1929, saw the birth of actress, Patricia Routledge.   In which series does she play Hyacinth Bucket?
Q4) 17th February, saw the first publication of influential US magazine, Newsweek.   17th February of which year of the 1930s?
A4) 1933.
Q5) Finally … ?   Adnan Menderes survived a plane crash: on 17th February, 1959.   Menderes was prime minister of where?
A5) Turkey.
Here’s a thought …
“I go to see maybe seven films a year at the most, and since I only go to see the best, it follows that I very rarely see my own.”
Jack Palance, February 18, 1919 – November 10, 2006.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        A zipped file is one that’s been compressed.   A gzipped file has also been compressed: but using a different compressing method.   A bzipped file is similar … but uses a third method.

†        I don’t know if it’s a major change, Olga^.   It’s a bit like replacing Word: it’s like changing a car part, in other other words.   Oh … about any students?


‡        Enjoy it, Debbi^!   It’s really very good!


^        Oh, for heaven’s SAKE!   I love Wikipedia, I really do.   But hate it when an article changes?   Someone’s updated Patricia Routledge’s birth between me writing the set … and publishing it … !   Hyacinth would possibly be saying something!   (Does anyone remember the great Batman Publishing Date scandal?)


4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Lindisfarne
Q2) Island
Q3) The Gambia
Q4) The Bee Gees
Q5) Nevada
Oh, I do love Mrs Buckett (or Bouquet, whatever she wants). One of my aunts is a bit like that, although not to such extremes (of course). My father always liked to wear blue trousers, always the same type, and she was always mortified because that meant neighbours would think he was always wearing the same trousers when we went to visit her! (Old age has mellowed her a bit, though, as she now confesses to buying dresses in the market). In her case, it was all part of living in fairly small towns and being a stay home mum with only the one daughter, so I think she had too much time to worry about what other people thought (oh, and my grandmother was also like that, so I guess being the only girl in the family, she had a lot of that to put up with, even though she married quite young).
I understand your frustration with Wikipedia. I'm sure you have many experiences of similar things, but I spent a couple of years gathering information, paperwork, doing work experience, courses, etc. to get a qualification, only to discover, when I had everything ready, that the rules had changed and I no longer qualified for it, no matter what I did (unless I went through a completely different process, including leaving my job and all).
Good luck with the computer experiments!

trev-v said...

I see you have invented a new state. "Mew Mexico". And yesterday you put "on" when you meant "One". I do not think Olga's students will learn English from you quiz.

Debbi said...

You're right. It was quite good.

1. Lindisfarne
2. Island
3. The Gambia, aka Republic of The Gambia
4. The Bee Gees
5. Nevada

Nik Nak said...

Yes, they will, Trevor.

They’ll learn a lot about typing, too … … … …