Sunday 27 December 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 27-12-2020: Ned’s Tongue.



27th December, 2020


I think it’s a definite … it’s getting nippier.

Which is something the BBC’s weather page is telling me … 


And something I managed to mention, yesterday, on Instagram … 

~≈🎁≈~

Did I mention Christmas?   Just out of curiosity?

I think I did … 

But didn’t mention I got some very appreciated Amazon gift vouchers, and an iTunes card?

The latter will come in handy: I’ve had my eye on the Count Arthur Strong Show for a while!


As for the Amazon vouchers?

They’ve been gratefully received … and used on an external, 4k, blu-ray drive.

Hopefully?

That will come in useful.

I can only hope the gifts I gave went down as well.

I know someone got a hat for his birthday, day: I gather it hasn’t been removed, yet!


~≈🎁≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Trevor*, Olga†, Mum‡, Debbi^ and Edithª putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring give out of five, Trevor and Mum on four, and Edith on three.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        Ned Maddrell died on 27th December, 1974.   He was the last native speaker of which British language?

Q2)        That language was spoken on which of the British Isles: the Isle of Man, the Isle of Wight or Guernsey?

Q3)        The language, itself, is a member of which language family: Germanic, Gaelic or Romance?

Q4)        The language is described as Goidelic.   In other words, it’s related to what: Irish or Cornish?

Q5)        Finally … ? Moghrey mie is a phrase in Ned’s language.   What does it mean: good morning, good evening or goodnight?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        26th December is Boxing Day.   A box usually has how many sides: four, six or eight?
A1)        Six.

Q2)        In the UK, a pillar box holds what?
A2)        Post.

Q3)        ‘Box’ is the singular version of the word.   What’s the plural?
A3)        Boxes.

Q4)        A humidor is a box for storing cigars.   A humidor can also be used to store what: baseballs, cheese or hats?
A4)        Baseballs.   (I believe it ties in with the way the low humidity — at higher altitude baseball grounds — affect the way a baseball bounces. I don’t think it’s an issue for cricket balls in the UK, as they seem to be at a similar altitude: I think cricket balls are more affected by the quality of the pitch.)

Q5)        Finally … ?   An airplane’s flight recorder records everything that goes on on an airplane: and is usually orange or bright red. It’s usually known as the what box?
A5)        Black box.   (I believe it’s a shade called International Orange.)
Here’s a thought … 
“They have tape recordings of me telling legends and stories … in Ireland and in America and in places you never heard of.”
Ned Maddrell.
And a clue … !


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        You were plucking your own birds, Trevor?   Times change, don’t they?   (Sorry about the score, by the way, Trevor: but it was baseballs.   From what I could gather, it ties in with the low humidity at a couple of high altitude grounds.)

†        He does seem to get around about, Olga!   Which reminds me, I’ve got series two of The Mandalorian to watch.   Oh, now I think of it, Pedro Pascal — who plays the Mandalorian — is in Wonder Woman 1984.   I’ve no idea why, but he reminds me of Bill Pullman!


‡        Hello, Mum!

^        Did I mention it was Jude’s birthday, yesterday, Debbi?   I think he liked the Fortnite hat!

ª        It sounds like it, Edith!   I wouldn’t mind seeing that beanie!

5 comments:

Freda said...

1 Manx
2 ningIsle Of Man
3 Gaelic
4 Irish
5 Good Mor

trev-v said...

A1 Manx or Manx Garlic
A2 Isle of Man
A3 Gaelic
A4 Irish
A5 Good morning

You owe both your Mum and me a point because you can store Cheeses in Humidors.

https://www.thegrommet.com/products/cheese-grotto-wooden-cheese-humidor

Yes not only did we pluck birds but we also gutted them too.
In the summers we often killed wild Rabbits and skinned them and prepared them for the oven.
I also remember helping my grand-mother by ringing the neck of one of her chickens that she kept on her allotment at Easter time.

Back before we had Supermarkets in the UK people knew where their food came from and Chicken was only eaten on special occasions.

Olga said...

Q1) The Manx Language
Q2) The Isle of Man
Q3) Gaelic
Q4) Irish
Q5) Good morning
He does, he does! We went to a traditional fair and bought a "caganer" (I think you've mentioned the figurine and the tradition before https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caganer) for my cousin, and although there were quite a few modern ones and even Star Wars one (and Yoda, of course), none of Grogu and I told them they were missing a trick, and they agreed there would surely be some for next year...
Here you might recognise some...
https://www.caganer.com/en/
Sad about the language, although at least it seems it has been preserved.
Enjoy your presents!

Debbi said...

Well, hey, Jude! Happy birthday! :)

1. Manx
2. the Isle of Man
3. Gaelic
4. Irish
5. good morning

Edith said...

1.Manx
2.Isle of Gerusey
3. Galic
4.Cornish
5.Good Morning

https://youtu.be/u9_Bf1pVWOk This is an interesting take on The original by Don Henely