Thursday 17 December 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 17th December, 2020

17th December, 2020




Just when you think it can’t get any odder … ?

Or possibly worse?

Or frustrating?

It gets odder, worse or more frustrating.

You’ll know, of course, I’ve signed up for an online European Computer Driving License course: a computer literacy course.

I’ve finally managed to borrow a Windows based laptop from my landlord, and get the relevant extensions installed: and find it’s got a copy of Microsoft Office.

Only to find out that — when I tried doing the initial tests — that I need to sign up for a Microsoft Office  account, in order to do them!

I … 

Well, it’s not something I really want to do.

I have three email addresses, an Apple ID, signed up for lord knows how many job sites, and company career sites: along site more social media sites than I’m going to admit to!

Another account?   For whoever short a time?

Is something  I’d rather not have.

At least, not without knowing how to cancel it*!

~≈Ê≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga†, Trevor‡, Mum^, Edithª and Debbiº putting in their answers: with Olga, Trevor and Debbi scoring five out five, Mum on four, and Edith on two.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1)        17th December is the feast of the prophet, Daniel.   According to who: the Roman Catholic Church, the Greek Orthodox Church, or the Church of the Tin Vagabond?

Q2)        17th December, 1983, saw the Provisional IRA detonate a bomb: out side which London Store: the Virgin Megastore, the Oxford Street branch of John Lewis or Harrods?

Q3)        Which animated TV series debuted on 17th December, 1989: Futurama, The Simpsons or Dora the Explorer?

Q4)        17th December, 1978, saw the birth of boxer, Manny Pacquiao.   In the course of his career, how many weights did he fight in: eight, nine or ten?

Q5)        Finally … ?   The Saturnalia was marked in ancient Rome: on 17th December of each year.   The festival was dedicated to which Roman god?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        16th December saw the birth of author, Jane Austen.   In which year of the 1770s?
A1)        1775.

Q2)        In which English county: Oxfordshire, Berkshire or Hampshire?
A2)        Hampshire.

Q3)        What was the her first published novel: Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice or Mansfield Park?
A3)        Sense and Sensibility.

Q4)        Name either one — one — of her completed, posthumously published novels.
A4)        Northanger Abbey or Persuasion.

Q5)        Finally … ?   Who played Emma, in the 2020 film version of Austen’s Emma?
A5)        Anya Taylor-Joy.
Here’s a thought …
“As the late Howard Zinn once said, ‘There is not a flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.’”
Chelsea Manning, born December 17, 1987.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Thankfully?   An old friend managed to look that up for me.   I’m eternally grateful!

†        True, Olga: it’s a heck of a blow for movie fans, though.   Especially given Wonder Woman 1984 is getting some very good reviews.   (Warner Brothers could have done a simultaneous release in Europe, as they did in the US.   I’m assuming they couldn’t find a Europe wide, streaming partner.   And that they wanted to get good word of mouth advertising, to help give it a big US opening.)

‡        I think she was planning Judith, Trevor!

^        That’s a thought, Edith, did you ever hear Bobby Gentry’s Ode to Billy Joe?   There’s not enough old fashioned story-songs around, I think … !


ª        You’re not wrong, there, Debbi!   Oh, I’ve got your card posted, Debbi!   Would you believe I’m still writing some!   There’s a couple of friends to finish … (That’s a thought, I mentioned Ode to Billy Joe to Edith.   There’s a line about Father “dying from a virus that’s going ’round,” that seems a little prophetic, right now!)

5 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) The Greek Orthodox Church
Q2) Harrods
Q3) The Simpsons
Q4) Here I’m a bit confused. He won titles in 8, but if the list in Wikipedia is right, he fought in 9 (I also found an article that seemed to suggest he might have fought in 10, but it also said he’d skipped two, so not sure what that means). What an incredibly guy! And left-handed! (Not that I like or rate boxing, but he’s determined, if nothing else).
Q5) Saturn
Well... Here there's a saying that goes "El que algo quiere, algo le cuesta.! (I imagine if I had to translate it, it would be equivalent to: Everything has a price, or If you really want something, you have to be prepared to pay the price). As you say, you've signed up for things for other reasons, perhaps less useful (potentially) than this one, but it's up to you, although a lot of people would be disappointed after all that effort, I imagine.
I had to sign for another Microsoft account when I was volunteering at the University of the People, and once I left, I never heard anything else about it. I know if you don't use it for a while they just close it, so I don't think that should be a concern long-term. And if you need it in the future, you'll have it. But, hey, it's your course.
I saw your comment about the song... I've always loved Me and Bobbie McGee, but hadn't really thought about that line until you mentioned it.

trev-v said...

A1 the Greek Orthodox Church
A2 Harrods
A3 The Simpsons
A4 Eight
A5 Saturn

As Brentwood has no cinema us going into level 3 will have no effect on it.

Debbi said...

I've noticed a few songs seem oddly prophetic. :)

And I'm still working on my cards. Right now! :)

1. the Roman Catholic Church
2. Harrods
3. The Simpsons
4. nine
5. Saturn

Edith said...

1.Greek Orthodox church
2. Virgin Mega Store
3. The Simpsons
4. 8
5. The God Of Wine

Yes, there is also Harper Valley PTA. Jolene, Smugglers' Blues. That is just the tip of the iceberg.

Nik Nak said...

Mum put her answers here.

Here they are.

1 Greek Orthodox
2 Harrods
3 The Simpsons
4 Nine
5 Thor