Wednesday 9 December 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 9th December, 2020

9th December, 2020.







Yep: stuff happens.

Continuously, in some cases.

Which is what the Situation With The Laptop feels like.

If you’ve been reading Nik Nak’s Old Peculiar for a while, you’ll know I’ve borrowed a Windows 10 laptop, for a course I’m supposed to be doing.

As it turns out?   I need an Administrator password for the machine, so I can install two pieces of software on it.

So they’ve told me they’ll send someone ’round to do the installation.

Which is good.

What’s decidedly NOT … ?

Is they haven’t told me when

Ho … hum … !

~≈ƒ≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor†, Mum‡ and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, Trevor on four and Mum on one.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1)        9th December, 1990, saw Lech Wałęsa elected as President of where?

Q2)        A Charlie Brown Christmas, the first animated Peanuts TV special debuted on 9th December, 1965.        On which US channel: NBC, ABC or CBS?

Q3)        The computer mouse was introduced, at what later became known as the Mother of all Demos.            On 9th December of which year of the 1960s?

Q4)        9th December, 1608, saw the birth of writer, John Milton.   In which English city?

Q5)        9th December, 2002, saw the death of artist and poet, Stan Rice.   Which writer is his widow?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1)        8th December, 1994, saw the birth of footballer, Raheem Stirling.   Which Premiership side does he play for … ?
A1)        Manchester City.

Q2)        8th December, 1990, saw the Galileo probe fly past which planet?
A2)        Earth.

Q3)        The Council of Europe adopted its flag: on 8th December, 1955.   How many stars are on the flag?
A3)        Twelve.

Q4)        8th December, 1765, saw the birth of inventor, Eli Whitney.   He’s remembered for inventing what: the cotton gin, silk spectre or wool whiskey?
A4)        The cotton gin.

Q5)        Finally … ?   8th December, 1966, saw the birth of Sinéad O’Connor.   What was the name of her debut album?
A5)        The Lion and the Cobra.
Here’s a thought …
“None can love freedom heartily, but good men; the rest love not freedom, but license.”
John Milton, 9 December 1608 – 8 November 1674.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Well … I say play, Olga: it’s more accurate to say I can make a noise with a guitar … !   I have to confess, I couldn’t resist the Concha Piquer song: it WAS quite something … !   It’s a lot more accessible than the laptop, I know that.
As for the laptop?   It’s a case of waiting for the engineer … … … … 
Oh, Operation Mincemeat, the Fleming inspired WW2 operation I mentioned?   It get’s a mention in El Ministerio del Tiempo: Episode two, so you know, Time of Spies!
(Oh, did you ever watch Coronation Street, while you were here … ?   It’s the show’s sixtieth birthday, today: I think we’re allowed to salute Ena Sharples.)

†        Tactfully?   I’m saying nothing about knees, Trevor!   Oh … it’s twelve stars, I’m afraid.

‡        Hello, Mum!   It was a cotton gin, so you know: the Silk Spectre’s a character in Watchmen.

^        I wouldn’t go that far, Debbi!   I just pick things up!   The story about Crowley been used in the Hess debriefing is something I picked up from the official James Bond magazine, many years ago: so, while it’s an interesting read, it’s not something I’ve seen verified.   It does get a mention in this piece from The Guardian.   And this covers the horoscopes used to lure Hess.   It’s funny what you find out.
(Crowley’s revered by some, as a spiritual figure.   I couldn’t tell you if his philosophies were valid: but do know he had a nasty heroin habit.   I believe the spirits he claimed to have met were the result of the drugs he was using.)

5 comments:

trev-v said...

A1 Poland
A2 CBS
A3 1968
A4 London
A5 Anne Rice

I used the information about the flag that one can see as a drop down on the day page on Wikipedia. That states 25 stars, if I had continued on to the page about the flag I would have seen that is was 12 stars. Bloody inconsistent information on Wikipedia.



Olga said...

Q1) Poland
Q2) CBS
Q3) 1968
Q4) London
Q5) Anne Rice
I never got into Coronation Street (East Enders had been shown here, in Catalonia, so I was familiar with those characters, although it was dubbed, so I had a bit of a shock when I heard some of the original voices) but yes, it should be celebrated for stamina. Not for nothing it's set up North, I guess!
I'm sure I've seen Ian Fleming appear as a character in movies more than once, or rather TV series... Mind you, I should read the book at some point.
And good luck with the laptop (here we still have the ongoing saga with the water in the patio. They came to repair the problem, that came from one of the other flats, but it seems that a more general repair is required. And we have bits falling off the building so... Lord knows how much it will all cost. We are many in the building, but getting everybody to agree is a nightmare as well).

Edith said...

1.Poland
2. CBS
3. The Tech show
4. London
5. Anne Rice

Hi Paul. Sorry I missed the quiz yesterday. I accidentally offended another friend and had to act fast. All my friends matter to me and that includes you. I working on a project.

Freda said...

1 Poland
2 CBS
3 1967
4 Norwich
5 Anne Rice

Debbi said...

Drugs will do all sorts of things like that. :)

1. Poland
2. CBS
3. 1968
4. Cheapside - Sounds like me. I'm on the cheap side, these days. :)
5. Anne Rice