Friday 18 December 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 18th December, 2020.

18th December, 2020.


Yes: I’ve got an earworm!

Dratted thing!


On a more serious note?

On a more serious note, and for the course I’m supposed to be doing … ?

I’ve got the laptop, I’ve got the needed extensions installed, I’ve signed up for an Outlook account, and the free web version of MS Office … 

But?

In order to do the one last test I need to do, before I start the course, proper … ?

I need the activation code for the copy of MS Office on the laptop.

I could pay for it.   Not at £120, I’m not!

I could use the free trial: the course doesn’t need the desktop version, just the test.   Frankly, handing more of my details to Microsoft for a half hour test is … objectionable.

Or I could email my landlords for the thing: which they really should have included in the first place!

To quote the old saw?

It’s one damn thing after another.

~≈∑≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor†, Mum‡, Debbi^ and Edithª putting in their answers: with Olga scoring five out five, Trevor, Mum and Debbi on four, and Edith on two.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1)        18th December, 1963, saw the birth of actor, Brad Pitt.   In which Ridley Scott film does he play J. D?

Q2)        18th December, 1946, saw the birth of Steven Spielberg.   His first TV work — on Rod Serling’s Night Gallery — saw him directing whom: Betty Davis, Marilyn Monroe or Joan Crawford?

Q3)        The USA adopted the Thirteenth Amendment on 18th December, 1865.   What did the Amendment abolish: slavery, war or crime?

Q4)        Kellingley Colliery, the UK’s last deep coal mine, closed on 18th December of which year of the 21st century?

Q5)        Finally … ?   18th December, 1870, saw the birth of writer, Hector Hugh Munro.   He was better known how: Chuhai, Saki or Umeshu?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …


Q1)        17th December is the feast of the prophet, Daniel.   According to who: the Roman Catholic Church, the Greek Orthodox Church, or the Church of the Tin Vagabond?
A1)        The Greek Orthodox Church.

Q2)        17th December, 1983, saw the Provisional IRA detonate a bomb.   Out side which London Store: the Virgin Megastore, the Oxford Street brand of John Lewis or Harrods?
A2)        Harrods.

Q3)        Which animated TV series debuted on 17th December, 1989: Futurama, The Simpsons or Dora the Explorer?
A3)        The Simpsons.

Q4)        17th December, 1978, saw the birth of boxer, Manny Pacquiao.   In the course of his career, how many weights did he fight in: eight, nine or ten?
A4)        Nine.   Light-flyweight, flyweight, super-bantamweight, featherweight, super-featherweight, lightweight, light welterweight, welterweight and light middleweight.

Q5)        Finally … ?   The Saturnalia was marked in ancient Rome: on 17th December of each year.   The festival was dedicated to which Roman god?
A5)        Saturn.
Here’s a thought …
“I’m a song-and-dance girl. I can act enough to get by. But that's the limit of my talents.”
Betty Grable, December 18, 1916 – July 2, 1973.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        Yep: I was after the amount of weights Manny fought in, rather than won in, Olga.   However long it is, it’s a long list.   I needed oxygen, reading them out in the video!   And, guess what?   I forgot he’s a southpaw!   Me of all people!
At any rate?   And now you mention that saying?   It sounds a lot like a Denzel Washington line: “If you’re going to pray for rain, expect mud.”   Funny what you find out, writing Teasers!
But, yes, you’re right: I should have expected the palaver, when I signed up.   I swear by a Mac: but I’ve been swearing at a PC for the past few days … 
They close it, automatically, you say?   That’s new.   I know I had to manually delete my unused Hotmail account.   Damn thing got hijacked, and started sending out spam, 18 months after I stopped using it.

†        Sorry about the score Trevor: but I was after the amount of weights he fought at, rather than won at!   But, yep: Brentwood doesn’t have a cinema, much to the town’s disgrace.   We could really do with a permanent one: given the amounts of flats being built in the area.   Being in Tier 3 gives developers a great chance to build the thing, for when we’re not!

‡        Hello, Mum!

^        We’re going to have to call ourselves the Cardigans, Debbi.   CARDigans … ?   No, never mind!

ª        Oh, Lord, Smuggler’s Blues!   I always try and dig that up, when it’s Glenn Frey’s birthday, Edith.

5 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Thelma & Louise
Q2) Joan Crawford
Q3) slavery
Q4) 2015
Q5) Saki
Tricky thing. I remember when my cousin installed the new hard drive on my laptop he needed the access key but seemed to find it easily enough, although, from what I've read, it might depend on the Windows version installed, as for many things it's enough to go to your account (but, for course, the account is not yours). I agree they should have given you the key, although one wonders if it might not be saved somewhere (but you might not have access to that either). I'm sure you have already investigated in some of your chats, in case somebody has a clever suggestion (or Microsoft support, but not sure how that would work if you're not the owner. Mind you... )
I wonder if it's much more complicated now, but I remember one of the patients in the hospital I used to work in did the course, and I don't recall he had any issues, but I don't remember if he was using his own laptop or the unit's computer in the OT department... (That must have been 6 or 7 years ago).
I'm keeping my fingers crossed anyway.
And I think they should make a movie of Manny's life. There are some great boxing films (although I don't rate the sport itself too highly).

trev-v said...

A1 Thelma & Louise
A2 Joan Crawford
A3 Slavery
A4 2015
A5 Saki



Freda said...

1 Thelma and Louise
2 Joan Crawford
3 Slavery
4 2003
5 Saki

Debbi said...

Uh oh! Bad pun alert! :)

I actually had the opportunity during my next Crime Cafe interview to mention my trip to the UK and how Rick and I met you and Trevor in Brentwood! Pretty cool, huh? :)

Also, Terry Pratchett came up. The subject of Terry Pratchett, that is. Not the ghost of Terry P. :)

1. Thelma & Louise
2. Joan Crawford
3. slavery
4. 2015
5. Saki

Edith said...

1 Gladiator
2. Joan Crawford
3.Slavery
4.2016
5. Ukenu

I guess Jerry Reed's "When You're Hot You're Hot" counts too. As a story song.