Thursday 10 December 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 10th December, 2020.

10th December, 2020.


Right … I’m going to be stuck indoors, today.

Which means I’ll be able to get some Teaser/Phoenix writing done.

Oh, and possibly get some videos made.

But I’m going to be stuck indoors … 

Waiting for an engineer from my landlord to do the annual Gas Safety Check … 

Ho … hum … !

~≈†≈~

Are you much of a one for computer games?

I’m not.

But I do keep an eye on it: technology’s interesting, after all.

I’d also grown up around pen-and-paper roleplaying games: including Cyberpunk 2020.

Which has been turned into a video game called Cyberpunk 2077.

There’s a twist in the tale.

On release, Cyberpunk 2077 has been shown to cause epileptic fits.

Which is worrying.

And mildly ironic.

The original roleplaying game was the first to suggest that inducing fits would used to protect computer systems against hackers.

Who said life couldn’t reflect life … ?

~≈⛑≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?   Yesterday’s Teaser saw Trevor*, Olga†, Edith‡, Mum^ and Debbiª putting in their answers: with Olga and Trevor scoring five out of five, Debbi and Edith on four and Mum on three.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1)        10th December, 1948, saw the United Nations adopt what: the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the UN Convention against Torture or the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child?

Q2)        The Encyclopædia Britannica was first published: on 10th December, 1768.   In which English city? 

Q3)        Melvil Dewey was born on 10th December, 1851.   His classification system is usually used where: restaurants, libraries or cheese shops?

Q4)        10th December, 1985, saw the birth of actress, Raven-Symoné.   She played Olivia in which sitcom … ?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Countess Ada Lovelace was born on 10th December, 1815.   She’s considered to have written the world’s first what: science fiction novel, computer programme or weaving pattern?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1)        9th December, 1990, saw Lech Wałęsa elected as President of where?
A1)        Poland.

Q2)        A Charlie Brown Christmas, the first animated Peanuts TV special debuted on 9th December, 1965. On which US channel: NBC, ABC or CBS?
A2)        CBS.

Q3)        The computer mouse was introduced, at what later became known as the Mother of all Demos. On 9th December of which year of the 1960s?
A3)        1968.

Q4)        9th December, 1608, saw the birth of writer, John Milton. In which English city?
A4)        London.

Q5)        9th December, 2002, saw the death of artist and poet, Stan Rice. Which writer is his widow?
A5)        Anne Rice.
Here’s a thought …
“I am more than ever now the bride of science. Religion to me is science, and science is religion.”
Countess Ada Lovelace, 10 December 1815 – 27 November 1852.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.






*        I have to admit, I couldn’t see a drop down on the relevant page, Trevor: I don’t know that Wikipedia changes its pages that rapidly.   Mind you, I usually only check the relevant pages once a year … !


†        Funny you should mention the voices on EastEnders, Olga.   I know a few friends have heard the dubbed, German version of Star Trek: the original series, I should say.   Apparently, Spock’s supposed to be very different.   As for this intro?   Don’t quote me, but I think they moved the series forward to the 25th Century!
Bits falling off?   Not for long, I hope.   I also hope the block wasn’t built by Gaudí, you’d get some weird souvenir hunters hanging around!
Yeah: I know the shape of no one agreeing.   You should see the Facebook residents groups I’m in!

‡        That’s OK, Edith: and thank you for friendship.   What’s the project, this week?

^        Hello, Mum!

ª        Oh, tell me about it, Debbi: just don’t tell me about antibiotics!   I’m running out of loo roll!
Oh, did you catch the bit about Cyberpunk 2077?   Technology’s a bizarre old thing!   (The original pen and paper game might grab your attention.   The equipment lists are a handy source of McGuffins!)

6 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Q2) Edinburgh (English? Methinks not!)
Q3) libraries
Q4) The Cosby Show
Q5) Computer programme
I wish the building had been designed by Gaudí! Anyway, we seem to have a few people taking things in hand... (Although getting everybody to agree will be interesting). I hope the gas guy doesn't keep you waiting long. These things have a knack for getting delayed...

Nik Nak said...

Oh, just so everyone knows in advance?

Tomorrow’s set is a ten questions numbers set.

I thought everyone would appreciate knowing.

If nothing else?

It gives me a chance to introduce everyone to the Lincolnshire Poacher … 

trev-v said...

A1 Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR)
A2 Edinburgh
A3 Libraries
A4 The Cosby Show
A5 computer programme

Ah The Lincolnshire Poacher. You do know that I was born in The county of Lindsey within the county of Lincolnshire. I am a Lincolnshire yellow belly. So I know about the Lincolnshire Poacher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8KQyJyOVKc


I never caught a Hare but did get a few Rabbits over the years. Many old Rabbit Warrens around my home town of Scunthorpe.




Freda said...

1 Human Rights
2 Edinburgh
3 Libraries
4 The Cosby Show
5 Computer Programme

Edith said...

!.Convention against torture
2. London
3. Libraries
4.The Cosby Show
5. Computer Programme

I am learning about my new DVD player. It is portable. It is an early Christmas gift.

Debbi said...

I'm limbering my fingers up as best I can. :)

1. the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
2. Edinburgh (unless this is wrong: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encyclop%C3%A6dia_Britannica,_Inc.)
3. libraries
4. The Cosby Show
5. computer programme (with two "m"s) :)