Saturday, 29 August 2026

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 29th August 2026.

29th August, 2026.


It’s officially Saturday: and a day I’m expecting peace and quiet.

And hoping — as yesterday — for rain.

Rain … !

After this year’s heatwaves, we need it.

Although … I can remember Bob Geldof talking about the famines in Ethiopia … and saying that part of the country’s issues were simple.

When it did rain after the area’s many droughts, the rain washed away the dried-out top soil, and caused  more problems for farmers.

You can’t grow food if there’s no seeds … and no soil to plant them in.

I can only hope that doesn’t happen in the UK!

~≈🌾≈~

Oh, JUST in case you’re interested … ?

I’ve seen episode eight of For All Mankind: and thought you’d be interested in my review.


Feel free to hit the ‘Like’ button … !

~≈👍≈~

The Terminally Ill Adults (End of Life) Bill, the Assisted Dying Bill, is due before the House of Commons in roughly a fortnight.

For a second time.

It’s something I support: and can only hope Brentwood’s MP votes for it in the House.

Although he hasn’t, thus far: and I’d expect him.

I mention this because Prime Minister Andy Burnham has recently announced he plans to abstain on the vote: as he doesn’t want to influence his party’s vote.

I’ve mixed feelings.

On the one hand?

I can applaud him for taking a principled stance.

On the other hand … ?

I’d rather he publicly supported the bill and voted for it: in order to rally support for it.

I guess we’ll have to see what happens.

~≈🗳️≈~

Let’s move on.

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum*, Debbi† and Irene† putting in their answers: with Debbi and Irene scoring five out of five, and Mum on three.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        The Guru Granth Sahib was finally compiled: on 29th August, 1604.   It’s the sacred text of which Indian religion … ?

Q2)        A copy of the book is kept in the Golden Temple in Amritsar.   Text, temple and town, are in which Indian state?

Q3)        The first Indian Reservation was established by the Treaty of Easton: on 29th August, 1758.   Housing the Lenape tribe, the Reservation is in which US state?

Q4)        The Slava was launched on 29th August, 1903.   It was the last battleship of its kind launched by who: the British Empire, Imperial Japan or Imperial Russia?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Buda was captured by the Ottoman Empire: on 29th August, 1526.   Buda was in what was where: Hungary, Austria or Czechia?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        Sheridan Le Fanu was born on 28th August.   Of which year: 1812, 1814 or 1816?
A1)        1814.

Q2)        He was born where: Dublin or Belfast?
A2)        Dublin.

Q3)        Many critics consider Le Fanu to be the greatest Victorian writer of what: ghost stories, poems or operas?
A3)        Ghost stories.

Q4)        In A Glass, Darkly was penned by Le Fanu.   It has two novellas, and three whats: poems, short stories or essays?<
A4)        Short stories.

Q5)        Finally … ?   One of the novellas in In A Glass, Darkly is called Carmilla.   The title character is a what: vampire, werewolf or ghost … ?
A5)        Vampire.   (Famously, Carmilla herself was a lesbian vampire.   I think Le Fanu was over-excitable.)
Here’s an observation …
“Success didn’t change me.   I was already distorted before I became a star.”
Elliot Gould, born August 29, 1938.
And a song …


The next 10 question sets are on 5th, 7th and 11th September: they’re about the Muppet Show, Boston and the Nine-Eleven attacks.

There’s a twelve question set on 8th September: about Star Trek.

Your comments, and today’s answers, will be published in tomorrow’s Teaser.

AI is avoided when writing these questions.

Answers are as accurate as possible: at the time of writing.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        Hello, Mum!   (They were short stories, Mum, rather than poems.   And “Carmilla” was about a vampire, rather than a zombie.)

        I’m glad to help, Debbi!   Although I don’t know if Le Fanu would be flattered to be called ‘easy’ … !

        Morning, Irene: well done for scoring five out of five … !

No comments: