Saturday 31 March 2012

The Daily Teaser - 31-3-2012

Wait a minute, hang on …

What … ?

You’re joking … ?

I’ve got to admit, following the news is … strange, sometimes: and likely to give you a very cynical view of people.

Although, given the panic buying as a result of the potential tanker driver strikes, something like it was inevitable.

It seems a woman called Diane Hill has been seriously injured after pouring petrol from a jerry can into a jug.

In her kitchen. While the oven was on.

While the oven was on … !!!!!

Now, I’ll happily admit I’m aware she’s suffered 40% burns: and I’m not unsympathetic, I’m really not.

But … I’ve GOT to ask how daft was that … ?

Let’s get moving on, shall we … ?

»»^««

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers: and, along with admitting she swiped the videos I’d posted* ALSO bagging 5 out of 5.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video
Q1) 31st March, 1990, saw 200000 people take to the streets of London to protest against what … ?

Q2) 31st March, 1986, saw the abolition of the Greater London Council: who was the final council leader … ?

Q3) More to the point, name any of the other Metropolitan councils abolished that day.

Q4) 31st March, 1921, saw the founding of the Royal Australian Air Force: which marsupial is featured on RAAF aircraft … ? (On what’s called it’s roundel, rather than the coat of arms.)

Q5) 31st March, 1972, saw the Explorer 1 probe re-enter Earth’s atmosphere: after how many years in space … ?

Q6) And finally … 31st March, 1992, saw the last US battleship decommissioned: what was its name … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 30th March, 1856, saw the signing of the Treaty of Paris: which war did this bring to an end … ?
A1) The Crimean War.

Q2) 30th March, 1858, saw Hymen Lipman patent the eraser tipped pencil. Which of Shakespeare’s play’s features a (minor) character called Hymen … ?
A2) As You Like It.

Q3) 30th March, 1746, saw the birth of which notably artistic Spaniard: Dali, Goya or Picasso … ?
A3) Francisco Goya.

Q4) 30th March, 1822, saw the incorporation of the Territory of Florida: when first discovered, in 1513, Florida was a colony of which European country … ?
A4) Spain.

Q5) And finally …30th March, 1978, saw the Conservative’s hire which advertising agency … ?
A5) Saatchi & Saatchi.
Enjoy those, everyone.

I’ll leave you with Herb Alpert’s Keep Your Eyes On Meª, as it’s his birthday.
Oh … and I’ll leave you with news that SOMEONE† in Maryland is VERY lucky … !












* Hmmm … Debbi, should I be getting SERIOUSLY retro, and playing this tune … ?


ª Now I come to watch it, it’s a better video than I thought at the time. But those opening shots are … ah … worrying, in the wake of the 9/11 attacks …

Debbi … ? If that’s YOU … ? Mine’s an iMac with the optional extras … !!!!!

1 comment:

Debbi said...

Hey, Paul! I heard the news. I can assure you I wasn't the lucky winner. Oh, well. It's just money, right? :)

I noticed what you said about the Herb Alpert video right away, but I thought that made it more interesting, somehow.

It shows how differently we viewed the world back then. We were so innocent.

I may snag it and post it on my blog, for that reason. We'll see.

1. poll tax
2. Ken Livingstone
3. Greater Manchester County and West Midlands County
4. the kangaroo
5. 7 years
6. the USS Missouri