Sunday, 24 June 2012

The Daily Teaser — 24-06-2012

Hmmm … 

That’s … strangely weird … 

I think … 

I mentioned, yesterday, that I’d started a course of treatment for an underactive thyroid gland … ?

This is going to sound odd, but despite the iffy night’s sleep, today is the first time I can recall not feeling too grotty, afterwards.

Actually … ?

I have to admit, it’s ALSO the first time I can recall my throat not feeling swollen.

And actually feeling rampagingly hungry in the morning … !!!

On the second day of a course of treatment … ?   That’s fairly good, I think.

Let’s get moving on, shall we … ?


Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers: along with being thankful for the invention of both computers and the Internet*º, also bagging 4 out of 5.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 24th June, 1947, saw Kenneth Arnold make the first widely reported sighting of a UFO: what does UFO stand for … ?
Q2) More to the point, in which US state was this … ?
Q3) 24th June, 1916, saw who become the first woman to sign a $1, 000, 000 Hollywood contract … ?
Q4) 24th June, 2010 saw John Isner beat Nicolas Mahut at the conclusion of their sport’s longest profession match.   What WAS their sport … ?
Q5) 24th June, 972, saw which country win the Battle of Cedynia?
Q6) And finally … 24th June, 1974, saw Britain’s government admit to having tested what … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 23rd June, 1912, saw the birth of Alan Turing, the father of the modern computer.   During World War 2, he worked at Britain’s code-breaking centre, in Bletchley Park: what was that centre’s formal name … ?
A1) The Government Code and Cypher School.
Q2) More to the point, name either of the German cipher machines which he helped crack … ?
A2) The Enigma Machine — in part, broken with the device called the Bombe — and the Lorenz cipher machine: broken with the aid of the Heath Robinson and Colossus machines.
Q3) 23rd June, 79 AD, saw who become Roman Emperor … ?
A3) Titus.   (Or Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus, if you want it in full … !)
Q4) 23rd June, 1868 saw Christopher L. Sholes patent the first commercially successful typewriter.   Yes or No: did he himself use it?
A4) No.
Q5) And finally … 23rd June, 1943, saw the birth of computer scientist, Vint Cerf: one of the men known as the father of what … ?
A5) The Internet.
Enjoy those, everyone.

As the rain’s decided to stop at Brentwood on its World Tour of south-east England, birthday boy Jeff Beck has an ideal tune … 
















*        Actually, Debbi, I think we need to thank Paul Baran and Donald Davies.   They’re the scientists  who — completely independently of each other — came up with packet-switching, the underlying communication method the ’net uses.   I’m thinking cucumber sandwiches are practically mandatory … !

º        Actually, Debbi, did I ever tell you I’m following Storm Constantine on Facebook … ?   She’s a noted fantasy/sci-fi writer, here in the UK: she might be able to help on that front!   (It’s backgrounds that can be the killer … !   I’m also aware of reading a Terry Pratchett interview, years ago, where he said he kept notes.   Just to make sure that, if he said in one novel that a trip from ⓐ to ⓑ took a week by carriage, that he didn’t say it took half an hour in the next … !   Fans get REALLY geeky about things like thatª.)

ª        No, seriously … !   We’re talking about a variety of people who, for example, have set up the Klingon Language Institute: and have been arguing about whether the Klingons have a word meaning ‘mercy’ for years†.

†        It’s been holding up the Klingon version of the King James Bible for a while.   (Old testament, with tons of sex and smiting?   No problem, not an issue.   The New testament, where mercy gets a mention?   FLAMING row … !)

2 comments:

  1. 1-Unidentified Flying Object

    2 -New Mexico

    3-no idea lol

    4-errrrrr

    5-Turkey?

    6- Wakey Backy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's important for mystery series writers to keep track of details, too. I can't give Sam blue-green eyes in one book, only to change them to blue-gray eyes in another. Ha ha ha ...

    1. unidentified flying object
    2. Washington
    3. Mary Pickford
    4. tennis
    5. Poland
    6. a nuclear weapon

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.