Thursday 18 February 2016

The Daily Teaser — 18-2-2016: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn,

Hmmm … 

I think I’ve just had a nightmare … 

No, literally.

I’ve always enjoyed getting up relatively early.   Even on a day like today, when I’m off work.

But, at ANY rate … ?   I had a dream where I wear having to write 60-question set: by hand, and with no access to the huge set of questions I’ve got tucked away in a folder on my computer.

Especially for a left-hander, like me: written English is hard to write when you have to push, rather than pull, across the page.

Nightmare doesn’t even start!

~≈ß≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw both Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring four out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s themed questions, shall we?

Here they are, alone with the How ToLicense and video … 

Q1) 18th February saw the first publication of ‘The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn’: in which country?
Q2) In which year of the 1880s?
Q3) Who wrote it?
Q4) What was the author’s real name?
Q5) The story is set on the banks of which US river: the Missouri, the Little Missouri or the Mississippi?
Q6) ‘The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn’ was a direct sequel to which other book?
Q7) Huck befriends an escaped slave on his adventures.   What was the slave’s name?
Q8) Edward Winsor Kemble did what for the book: the typesetting, the illustrations or the printing?
Q9) Who played Huck in the 1993, Disney version of the book?
Q10) Finally … the 2010 EP, ‘Huckleberry Finn,’ was performed by Duke Special.   It featured music originally composed by whom: Karlheinz Stockhausen, Kurt Weill or Carl Orff?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 17th February, 1621, saw Myles Standish appointed as the governor of Plymouth Colony: in what’s now the USA.   What’s left of the original New Plymouth, is in which US state?
Q2) 17th February, 1991, saw the birth of singer, Ed Sheeran.   What was the mathematical name of his first album?
A2) +.
Q3) Abraham Benjamin ‘AB’ deVilliers was born on the 17th February, 1984.   He plays international cricket for which African side?
Q4) Newsweek magazine was published for the first time: on 17th February, 1933.   It’s the second most popular magazine in US: by circulation.   What’s the most popular?
A4) Time.
Q5) Finally … The London Congestion charge was introduced on 17th February, 2003.   Under which London Mayor?
I’ll leave you with these words from the book’s introduction …
“There was things which he stretched, but mainly he told the truth.”
Huck Finn, in the introduction to The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn.
And this video … 


Have a good day!
















*        DRAT!   That’ll teach me to double check these things, Olga: I didn’t think to double-check on what had replaced Time, or where The Independent got the idea!   At ANY rate,  I hope the Spain trip goes well!

†        Either way, Debbi, enjoy it.   In my mind, and however well Julian Bleach and Terry Molloy did with the role … ?   Michael Wisher is STILL Davros

2 comments:

Olga said...

Hi Paul:
Thanks. No time to take part today but I thought I'd leave you a message (and I do love Huckleberry Finn and studied as part of a course on the Great American Novel). I'm sure I'll catch up from wherever I am. Keep well (now I'm intrigued about your secret stash of questions. Might need to get in touch with you as I'm working on a local radio programme and might want to run a quiz).
Be well.

Debbi said...

Wow! I'm shocked that the book was first published in the UK. "The Great American Novel." How ironic, huh? :)

1. the UK
2. 1884
3. Mark Twain
4. Samuel Clemens
5. the Mississippi
6. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
7. Jim
8. the illustrations
9. Elijah Wood
10. Kurt Weill