Tuesday 23 February 2016

The Daily Teaser — 23-2-2016

Hmmm … that’s odd … 

I managed to pick up an internal hard-drive, yesterday: just an 80 gigabyte one I could use as transport, and working space, connected through a docking station.

Which promptly didn’t show up, when I got it home and connected it!

I THINK I’ve still got the receipt.   At any rate, I’m a regular at the shop I bought it from: so I don’t think taking it back, today, will be an issue.

But boy … 

Don’t you just love buying second hand … !

~≈Á≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How ToLicense and video … 

Q1) 23rd February, 1455, is the tradition publication date of the first book — in Western Europe — printed with movable type.   What book was it: Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales, the Quran or the Gutenberg Bible?
Q2) 23rd February, 1941, saw Glenn Seaborg and his team, chemically identify a metal they’d first isolated a few weeks earlier.   What metal: Uranium, Neptunium or Plutonium?
Q3) 23rd February, 1947, saw the founding of the International Organization for Standardization, or ISO.   How many countries are members of the organization: 154, 164 or 174?
Q4) More to the point, ISO 4074 documents standardized what?
Q5) 23rd February, 1987, was the date of the initial observations of SN 1987a.   What IS SN 1987a: a black hole, supernova or quasar?
Q6) Finally … 23rd February, 532, saw Byzantine Emperor Justinian 1st order the start of Constantinople’s new church.   That church is now known as what?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 22nd February, 1371, saw Robert 2nd become King of Scotland.   He was the first king from which royal house?
A1) The Stuarts.   (It’s ALSO spelt Stewart.)
Q2) 22nd February, 1959, saw Lee Petty win the very first Daytona 500.   The race is how long: 500 miles, 750 miles or 1000 miles?
A2) 500 miles.   (Can someone tell Ood Sigma to STOP!!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPKgPB80jNA )
Q3) Scientist announced they had successfully cloned a sheep: on 22nd February, 1997.   What Was the sheep called?
A3) Dolly.
Q4) 22nd February is the date of one the Roman Catholic Feast of Peter’s Chair.   The chair itself is in Saint Peter’s Basilica.   In which Italian City?  
A4) I’ll take either answer: either Rome, or the more accurate Vatican City.
Q5) Finally … Founder’s Day is celebrated by Scouts and Guides: on 22nd February.   Whose birthday does it mark?
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“I knew when I got the assignment it was going to be an emotional thing, … We had feelings, but we had to put them in the background. We knew it was going to kill people right and left. But my one driving interest was to do the best job I could so that we could end the killing as quickly as possible.”
Brigadier General Paul Tibbets, 23 February 1915 – 1 November 2007.
(Tibbets is best remembered as the man who piloted the Enola Gay on it’s mission to dfrop thew A-bomb on Hiroshima.)
And a quick sarabande … 


Enjoy your day … !













*        Cheers, Olga: my pleasure!   I hope the trip goes well … !

†        You DO know you didn’t need to, Debbi?   .m4v is one of the formats that’ll just play in iTunes … ! :D

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) The Gutenberg Bible
Q2) Plutonium
Q3) According to them is 162 but not sure what you’re including. http://www.iso.org/iso/home/about/iso_members.htm
Q4) Male rubber condoms it seems.
Q5) A Supernova
Q6) Hagia Sophia (Sancta Sophia)

Debbi said...

For some reason, it wouldn't play when I tried to do that on my iMac. I kept getting a message saying that I had to load a profile to do dictation. Makes no sense, but that's nothing new for me. :)

1. the Gutenberg Bible
2. Plutonium
3. 164 (although, I think the number is actually 162 - http://www.iso.org/iso/home/about/iso_members.htm)
4. the World Health Organization
5. supernova
6. the Eastern Orthodox Church