Wednesday 17 January 2018

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 17th January, 2018

Hmmm … 

I’ve finally booked that up.

Yep: I’ve got the workmen in, today.

Officially?

I’ve got an electrical safety test, due to be carried out!

At some point between eight and eleven.

Hopefully?

He’ll get here after I’ve had a shower, and finished this post.

~≈Ÿ≈~

In the meantime?

In the meantime, I wanted to let you know I watched a movie, last night: the 2017, Netflix production that is Bright.

Yes, I know the critics gave it some thing of a savaging.

But, frankly?

I found it entertaining, gritty, with a nicely crafted background world: and lots of great fight sequences.

Oh, and kung fu ninja elves.


What more does a body want?

~≈Ÿ≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) Killer, Gary Gilmore, was executed by firing squad: on 17th January, 1977.   In which US state?
Q2) 16th January is the feast day of Saint Anthony the Great.   Anthony is said to be one of the first Christian what: monks, exorcists or popes?
Q3) Which Chekov play debuted on 17th January, 1904?
Q4) The USA bought the Virgin Islands on 17th January, 1917: for $25 million.   From whom: Sweden, Denmark or Norway?
Q5) Finally … The Terra Nova expedition reached the South Pole on 17th January, 1912.   The Expedition was led by whom?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) Emir Abd-ar-Rahman 3rd established a Caliphate: on 16th January, 929.   The Caliphate of where: Syria, Cordoba or Egypt?
A1) Cordoba.
Q2) Africa’s first elected, female head of state, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, was sworn in: on 16th January, 2006.   She was president of where?
A2) Liberia.
Q3) The first volume of El Ingenioso Hidalgo Don Quijote de la Mancha was published on 16th January, 1605.   Who wrote El Ingenioso Hidalgo Don Quijote de la Mancha?
A3) Miguel de Cervantes: or Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, if you want his name in traditional Spanish form.
Q4) The ruler of Iran fled the country: on 16th January, 1979.   Who WAS that ruler?
A4) Reza Pahlevi, then Shah of Iran.
Q5) Finally … Hello Dolly! made it’s Broadway debut: on 16th January, 1964.   Who played Dolly in that version?
Here’s a thought …
“I have no horror of death: if I thought it inevitable I think I could quietly resign myself to the prospect ... But I wish it would please God to spare me not only for Papa’s and Charlotte’s sakes, but because I long to do some good in the world before I leave it.”
Anne Brontë, 17 January 1820 – 28 May 1849.
And a song … 


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        Have fun when you do, Olga‡!   (Hopefully, my ugly mug won’t prove too scary!)

†        I’m glad someone is, Debbi‡!   (I’m expecting to scare someone!)

‡        Point of trivia for you, both.   According to Radio 4’s Today  programme, Kazakhstan is switching alphabets from Cyrillac to Latin.   OK, I was interested …

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Utah
Q2) Monks
Q3) The Cherry Orchard
Q4) Denmark
Q5) Captain Robert Falcon Scott
:)

Debbi said...

I have to confess, I keep hearing about "The Cherry Orchard" but I've never read it.

1. Utah
2. monks
3. The Cherry Orchard
4. Denmark
5. Captain Robert Falcon Scott