Tuesday 2 January 2018

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 2nd January, 2018

Right … 

It’s now official … 

I have a blank internal hard drive … 

Sorry, sorry … 

I’m just pleased to have got the thing out of my main machine, into a dock and wiped.

Doing the wipe?

Took some time: as I’d made sure I’d used a setting on Disk Utility that writes zeroes to the thing.

It takes a while: but it does wipe any evidence!

~≈§≈~

Something else I’ve used Disk Utility for?

Is wiping the drive I use for my Time Machine backups.

Basically?

I got a few blu-rays for Christmas.

And did my usual thing of backing them up to one of the extra drives I use for storage.

Forgetting, in the process, that when the version of Time Machine on this version of macOS tends to back up everything, including the temporary files created by the various copying processes and filling up my back up drive in the process.

Forgetting what I’d observed in previous years: that turning off Time Machine in these sort of circumstances, helps.

I’ll learn, one day!

~≈§≈~

Let’s move one, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1) Who was sworn in as Governor of California on 2nd January 1967?
Q2) 2nd January, 1836, saw the birth of Queen Emma of where?
Q3) 2nd January, 1914, saw the birth of Noor Inayat Khan, author, descendant of Tipu Sultan, and member of Britain’s wartime Special Operations Executive.   Her death and SOE work earned her Britain’s highest civilian medal.   Which medal?  
Q4) The Battle of Ap Bac took place on 2nd January, 1963: during the Vietnam War.   It was a victory for who: the USA or the Viet Cong?
Q5) Finally … British Steel workers went on strike: on 2nd January, 1980.   Over what: safety concerns, pay or plant closures?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) As of 153 BC, what type of Roman politician took office, from 1st January?
A1) The Consuls.
Q2) January first is New Year’s Day.   What’s the name of the calendar much of the world uses: the Julian, Gregorian or Aztec?
A2) Gregorian.
Q3) New Year’s Day is also Euro Day.   It marks the day when the European Union adopted the Euro as currency.   It was first introduced in which year of last century?
A3) 1999.
Q4) New Year’s Day is — apparently — Bloody Mary Day in the US.   What spirit is usually used as a base for the Bloody Mary?
A4) Vodka.   (The version I made, when I worked at the Hutton, many years ago?   Used vodka, tomato juice, Worcestershire sauce, and Angostura Bitters.   It seemed to be popular.   But not as lethal as my take on the zombie …)
Q5) Finally … Novy God is the phrase for ‘New Year’, where: Russia, Argentina or Tibet?
A5) Russia.   (In Cyrillic, it’s Новый Год)
Here’s a thought …
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Isaac Asimov, January 2, 1920 – April 6, 1992.
And a tune … 


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Getting the answers you mean, Olga‡?   :D   Well, a boy goes as fast as he can … !   At ANY rate?   Here’s hoping you’re right!

†        And I can bag a few Nectar points, Debbi‡!

‡        Oh, do either of you need a 3·5”, two terabyte, SATA drive?   I’ve got one I’m selling off … 

4 comments:

Richie said...

January 2nd really isn't my topic.

1. Arnie (not)
2. Hermione (not)
3. George Cross
4. Viet (on grounds that US no longer wins anything)
5. Bloody unions.

I predict a low score.

Richie said...

Here's my URL, like you don't already know it. I'm in a strange mood today.
PS I can't do your verify pictures. My eyesight isn't good enough to spot invisible cars.

Olga said...

Q1) Ronald Reagan
Q2) Hawaii
Q3) The George Cross
Q4) The Viet Cong
Q5) pay

Thanks, Paul. At the moment I'm trying to get rid of things. In fact, I'm sure I'll ask you if you want or can use any of my stuff before I leave the UK...

Debbi said...

Here's hoping I can swing the visit! :)

1. Ronald Reagan
2. Hawaii
3. the George Cross
4. the Viet Cong
5. pay