Wednesday 28 November 2018

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 28th November, 2018

28th November, 2018.


Yes: it’s another Wednesday morning.

And … ?

Yes, it’s possibly going to be jolly.

Or Folly.

Or Holly.

And possibly other things ending in Olly.


At any rate … ?

I’m seriously thinking I want to track down the original Channel Four TV film that created Max Headroom.

It bothers me I’ve never actually seen the thing!

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 


Q1) Ludwig van Beethoven’s Piano Concerto No. 5 had its public debut: on 28th November, 1811.   It’s also known as the Emperor concerto: and in which key?
Q2) Mauritania became independent: on 28th November, 1960.   Independent of where?
Q3) Horse racing in the UK was suspended: in 28th November, 1967.   Because of which disease?
Q4) 28th November, 1990, saw Margaret Thatcher replaced as Prime Minister.   By whom?
Q5) Finally … 28th November, 1866, saw the birth of architect and designer, Henry Bacon.   His last project is in Washington.   What IS that project?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 27th November is Lancashire Day in the UK.   What colour is the Rose of Lancaster?
A1) Red.
Q2) It’s held to mark the day — in 1295 — when Lancashire sent its first representative, where: Buckingham Palace, Parliament or the Olympics?
A2) Parliament: specifically, the Model Parliament organised by Edward 1st.   (Edward 1st was a Plantagenet: the Houses of York and Lancaster were Plantagenet cadet branches.)
Q3) The Duchy of Lancashire is held bye the Duke of Lancaster.   Who IS the Duke of Lancaster?
A3) The Queen, Elizabeth 2nd.
Q4) Which town’s the administrative centre of Lancashire?
A4) Preston.
Q5) Finally … ?   Lancashire Hotpot is traditionally made with what: beef, pork or lamb?
A5) Lamb.   (I’m told, strictly, that it should be mutton.)
Here’s a thought …
“The idea behind structuralism is that there are things we may not know but we can learn how they are related to each other.”
Claude Lévi-Strauss, 28 November 1908 – 30 October 2009.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        A fatfood restaurant, Olga?   I like it!   That’s going to be sitting in my head, now!   And I’m going to have to track down American Beauty: it’s one of Spacey’s beat, I’m told … !   (Oh, I’ve caught another episode of El Ministerio del Tiempo: that’s really impressive!)

†        Morning, Trevor.   Hang on, lettuce in hot pot … ?   Mrs Beaton was a bit … radical … 

‡        In WIN sible, Debbi, surely?   And yes, I remember that movie.   Goldeneye’s named after Ian Fleming’s estate in Jamaica.   I do know Cumming’s stage version of The MC in Caberet’s quite something … 

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) E-flat major
Q2) France
Q3) Foot-and-mouth disease
Q4) John Major
Q5) The Lincoln Memorial
Fat food? Oh dear, although it's not a bad name. American Beauty deserves a watch. I'm happy you're enjoying el Ministerio. I wasn't sure how well the Spanish History setting would translate, but they always picked up stories that were interesting in their own right, and of course, there are the Ministerio Machinations and politics also, and the personal lives of the characters...
I loved Max Headroom. I'm sure I've told you that, but I watched it at the time (although I remember some scenes quite well all these many years later). It probably does not feel as original as it once was but... I think it got many things right. Let us know what you think if you get hold of it! (I had it on VHS for many years but no longer...)

Debbi said...

Yes, in-WIN-cible! :)

1. E-flat major
2. France
3. foot-and-mouth disease
4. John Major
5. the Lincoln Memorial