Thursday, 15 August 2019

The Dark — A Review

15th August, 2019.


Yes: it’s officially official.

I’ve been asked … to swap shifts.

I am not complaining.

It means that, tonight … ?   I can stay up late … !

And watch a movie.

And, in case you hadn’t noticed the poster?



The film I watched was the 2018, Anglo-Austrian movie, The Dark.

I think we have a winner, here.

~≈†≈~

The Dark sees a man we learn is called Josef Hofer (Karl Marcovics) pull into a backwoods gas station: to stock up on food: and a map.

And — before shooting the cashier for recognising him — learning that he is in an area called the Devil’s Den.

Josef drives deeper into the Den: finally finding an abandoned house he feels he can hide out in … only to find the place is occupied … 



By someone holding an axe … 

~≈†≈~

That someone … ?



Is Mina (Nadia Alexander): a seemingly feral child living out in the woods … 



A child with an axe, a taste for human flesh … and a seriously unhealthy complexion.



Someone whose curiosity leads her to the boot of Josef’s car.

She finds the equally young Alex (Toby Nichols) hidden away under a sleeping bag.



Mina?



As we find out, through a series of flashbacks, Mina has suffered at the hands of her mother’s boyfriend: eventually ending up being killed by him.

That hasn’t stopped her … 

But has left her sympathetic.

It seems Alex has been kidnapped by Josef: and blinded along the way … 

Things … are getting interesting … 

~≈†≈~



Now … atmospheric?   Good?   Arty … ?



Hmm … 



Arty?

I don’t know what I could say, there.



I am walking away from The Dark feeling mightily impressed with it.



The Dark is not your ordinary zombie apocalypse: not by a long shot.



We’re looking here, at an old fashioned revenge drama.   Mina, the victimised central character, survives her death, to take revenge on the man who raped and killed her …

Only to lose herself in her condition, once she’s done.



She is — effectively — only half healed by revenge: only half healed of death.



It’s only by helping Alex that she fully starts to heal: making sure that — once he is rescued from a burning car — that she can start life anew.

~≈†≈~



Frankly?



There is a lot I could say about The Dark.

I won’t though.



I will do one thing.



I’m going to seriously suggest you watch The Dark.



With the possible exception of The Awakening, or Let the Right One In?

I know of very few films like it.
The Dark
★★★★

2 comments:

  1. Ive never seen this film, but will watch thanks for bringing this to y attention

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pleasure, every time, Anne!

    (iTunes are retailing it for £2·99: I don’t know what Amazon are asking … )

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.