Monday, 20 August 2012

The Awakening: A Review

The Awakening
Can I tell you something, here … ?

Can I … ?

I’ll assume that’s a yes, shall I … ?

But here’s what I’m currently wanting to get off my chest.

I saw a film called The Awakening, last night.   You’ve probably worked that out from the poster.

And I’ve only seen one other film that I think’s as beautiful … 

‹‹·››

Set in 1921, some three years after the end of World War 1, The Awakening sees Rebecca Hall as Florence Cathcart: a young woman who has lost her fiancée during the war.

And as a result … ?   As a result, spends much of her time helping the police with their enquiries: into false mediums.

And promoting her book on the subject, as well..

The only possible fly in her ointment … ?   Is the arrival, one day, of Robert Malory*.  A teacher at a posh public school who has seen a pupil die as a siucide: after seeing what’s claimed to be a genuine ghost … 

Something Miss Cathcart is sceptical about.

Until she gets there. 

And sees it for herself …

‹‹·››

Now, I said, earlier, I’ve only seen one other film I felt matched The Awakening, in its beauty: frankly that was the one off that was Things To Do In Denver When You’re Dead.

And I’m thinking for pretty much the same sort of reasons.

I personally found both films to be stand-outs in their genre: in fact, I’m thinking calling The Awakening a horror film is as possibly insulting as calling Things To Do In Denver When You’re Dead a straight gangster film.

Both films are takes on their respective genres that makes a mockery of simple classification, and demands that someone see them, to enrich themselves with what can be done with a type.   They’re intelligent, adult, films with great scripts and fine casts.

And in the case of The Awakening, a fine leading actress in the shape of Rebecca Hall, along with quite possibly the strongest leading character — Florence Cathcart — I’ve seen in a long time.

What’s more … ?

What’s more, the film also has one of the most beautifully ambiguous finalés I think I’ve seen in quite a few years.

No, I correct that.

Ever.

Now, I grant, The Awakening isn’t going to be for everyone.

But that, I think, is even more reason to check it: if you’re used to an outright gore-fest, you’ll have done yourself a favour with a complete change of pace.

For the rest of us … ?

Go GET … !
The Awakening
★★★★






*        Played by Dominic West, I should add.

1 comment:

  1. Well worth watching...an astonishingly beautiful and terrifying film.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.