Tuesday, 14 August 2012

The Daily Teaser — 14-08-2012

Hmmm … 

You know, I’ve got my email client — the version of Mail.app that’s packaged with Mac OS X 10•6•x— set to receive RSS feeds.

Kind of handy, that, although it’s something Apple have changed with Mac OS X 10•8 Mountain Lion.

One of the technology pieces that floated my way, today, was this piece, on how many US employers are asking prospective employees for their social media passwords: something various state and Federal lawmakers are trying to stop.

Can’t say I blame them … !

It’s also something I hope employers don’t do, over here!   After all, I don’t mind a possibly employer seeing what I post to Facebook and Twitter.   That’s sort of why I’m bloody careful about what I put on them and make sure my privacy controls are turned way up.

But asking for my login* details … ?

You can s-d off with that one!

Let’s move on, shall we … ?

‹‹·››

Yesterday’s Left-Hander’s Day Teaser saw Debbi — who’s an honourary southpaw — putting in her answers: along with telling the Meso-American Long Count calendar was complicatedº, she also bagged 7 out of 7.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 14th August, 1947, saw which country declare independence … ?
Q2) More to the point, who was the founding father of the nation … ?
Q3) 14th August, 1936, saw Rainey Bethea hanged in the last public execution in the US: in which US state was this … ?
Q4) 14th August, 1980, saw Lech Walesa lead strike at the Gdansk shipyards, in Poland.   What was the name of the union he led … ?
Q5) And finally … 14th August, 1994, saw the capture of Ilyich Ramirez Sanchez, in Sudan.   How was he better known … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 13th August is Lefthander’s Day: what’s the Latin word for left … ?
A1) Sinestra.
Q2) More to the point, where would you find the Val Sinestra, or Left Valley: the Italian Alps, French Alps or Swiss Alps … ?
A2) The Swiss Alps.
Q3) More to the point, on a left handed pair of scissors, which digit operates the cutting — or bottom — blade … ?
A3) The thumb.
Q4) According to popular myth, southpaw has it’s origins in one of two sports: name either.
A4) Boxing and baseball.
Q5) Which English reggae band famously had quite a few left-handers, in its classic line-up … ?
A5) UB40.
Q6) Which famously camp left hander once made a notoriously outrageous remark about Norman Lamont … ?
A6) Julian Clary.
Q7) And finally … which left handed US tennis player once famously said “You CANNOT be serious” … ?
A7) The Super Brat, himself, John McEnroe.
Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll catch you later.

After I’ve left you with Kiss You Off, by the Scissor Sisters: it is Ana Matronic’s birthday, today.


Oh … 

And a quote from Steve Martin …
“People come up to me and say ‘Steve, what is film editing?’ And I say ‘How should I know? You’re the director.’”
Steve Martin, born 14th August, born August 14, 1945
Oh … 

And I’ll ALSO leave you with a word from Great Britain’s Olympic athletes … 

















*        Am I the only person who can remember when the word login was hyphenated … ?

º        You’re right, there, Debbi!   Britain’s pre-decimal currency was fun.   That Mayan calendar … ?   I think I’ll only try it out with a packet of aspirin’s … 

1 comment:

  1. I really love the videos! :) And the currency info. Fun facts to know and tell. Ha ha ha ...

    1. Pakistan
    2. Muhammad Ali Jinnah
    3. Kentucky
    4. Solidarity
    5. Carlos the Jackal

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.