No, seriously …
Hmmm … !
You’ve probably worked out I’m of a film fan, haven’t you … ?
Well, I am: just to confirm things.
And have to admit, I caught something of an … oddity, last night.
You see, I had the night to myself with a copy of the recently released DVD, Absentia.
And I’m thinking oddity is possibly the word …
The Mike Flanagan directed Absentia sees Courtney Bell as Tricia, a young women who’s still in mourning about her missing husband, Daniel, and joined by her sister, Callie — Katie Parker — who’s helping supply emotional support, as Tricia deals with both a pregnancy, and complete the paperwork to have her husband declared legally dead.
There’s twists and turns, of course.
The creepy neighbour who’s never without a binbag. The love affair Tricia’s having with the policeman heading the case. Callie’s bad habits, and (potential) hallucinations.
Oh … and then there’s creepy old subway tunnel near the house …
»»·««
Now, I got to calling Absentia an oddity, at the start of this post … ?
Now I think of it, I’m none too sure if that’s the right word for it. Although I have seen it described as low budget: the film’s Wikipedia entry does say the budget was $70, 000, mostly picked up from crowd-funding site, Kickstarter.
You know know, now I come to think of it, oddity really only applies, I think, to how the film raised it’s money: in this day and age, going through something like Kickstarter is both brave and unconventional.
And possibly wise, as well: as one really can’t guarantee funding for first time projects from the industry big boys.
Especially when the scripts still a touch unpolished, and one of the leading actress is unexpectedly expecting, during filming … !
Ahem … !
»»·««
On the whole, though … ?
On the whole, I’m none too sure if I can seriously recommend Absentia to you: although I think I am going to suggest you check it out.
Particularly if you see yourself as a sort of film equivalent of the late John Peel: inviting listeners and viewers to send in demo tapes of a band, in the belief that that’s a very good way to discover the next big musical thing.
Now, I don’t know if that means Absentia will — like District 9 — be remade, with a bigger budget, fancier cast and scriptorial polish.
But the original version makes for a very imperfect — but interesting — debut.
Absentia
★★☆☆

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?
I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.
Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.
Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.
If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.
Thank you.
* I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.
† Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.