Tuesday 17 May 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 17-5-2022: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

17th May, 2022.


Ladies and gentleman, I had a dream … !

Last night, in fact.

I dreamt someone — that vaguely looked like Mitch Pileggi with a moustache — tried getting into my flat … only to be seen off by a panicking Dream Me … repeatedly threatening him with a hammer … and screaming … 


One?

I don’t know what that was all about.

Two?

I hope I didn’t wake the neighbours up!

~≈¥≈~

Just so you know?

My nephew, Jude, has made a reaction video with his friend, Jaskaran.


Would you mind hitting Like?

If he Jude and Jas get twenty like on that video, they react to a Lama Spitting video … !

The mind boggles.

~≈¥≈~

Oh, and just as a last thing?

We know Russell T. Davies has a thing about the name Rose.

As actress, Yasmin Finney has been cast as a character called Rose for the upcoming 60th Anniversary episode.

I look forward to seeing how she does: and why her character’s called Rose … 

~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum†, and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with everyone scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        The Wonderful Wizard of Oz was published on 17th May.        Of which year: 1900, 1901 or 1902?

Q2)        Who wrote The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: J. R. R. Tolkien, L. Frank Baum or Ursula K. LeGuin?

Q3)        Who was the main character: Tiffany, Dorothy or Annabelle?

Q4)        That main character owns a dog.   Called what: Chicago, Toto or Styx?

Q5)        Finally?   The story sees its heroine to where: the Emerald City, Ruby City or Sapphire City?
Yesterday’s answers are in today’s video.

Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        16th May saw the birth of actor, Henry Fonda.   In which year of the 1900s?
A1)        1905.

Q2)        He made his Hollywood debut in the 1935 film, The Farmer Takes a what: break, wife or holiday?
A2)        The Farmer Takes a Wife.

Q3)        In World War Two, he joined the US what: army, navy or air force?
A3)        The US Navy.

Q4)        He won a Best Actor Oscar for his last film: 1981’s On Golden what
A4)        On Golden Pond.

Q5)        Finally?   Two of Henry’s children became actors.   Peter was one.   Who was the other: Jane, Bridget or Mildred?
A5)        Jane Fonda.   (Bridget is Peter’s daughter, Jane’s niece and Henry’s granddaughter.   There is no Mildred Fonda … as far as I can tell.)
Here’s a quotation … 
“Folklore, legends, myths and fairy tales have followed childhood through the ages, for every healthy youngster has a wholesome and instinctive love for stories fantastic, marvelous and manifestly unreal.” From the introduction to The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.
And a tune …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        I’m going to have to sit down with that song, Olga: my sister Anna, was alway on about Paolo Nutini.   About the only songs I HAVE listened, recently?   Are a couple of old ones.   (Horse is on hell of a track!)
        And cheers, Olga: I thought peninsular looked wrong!


        Hello, Mum!

        Naaaah … Vince was all about the pendulums, Debbi!

6 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1900

Q2) L. Frank Baum

Q3) Dorothy

Q4) Toto

Q5) The Emerald City
I bought a couple of Paolo Nutini's albums and enjoyed them. They played him on the radio (Radio 2 was the one I listened to on my way to work and at home, years back), and it got stuck in my brain.
I was checking the writing for the girl who is thinking about going for the exam, the First certificate, and although the essay wasn't terrible (but needed improving), the short story was all over the place. And her reading and use of English wasn't that great when we tested it either. To be fair, I don't think she dedicates a lot of time to it, and now she will be studying for the pre-university exams, so probably not the best moment for it. But for what she tells me about the English lessons in school, I get the sense that they are pretty rubbish. They don't test students, and her grasp of grammar is pretty hit and miss. (Mind you, it also depends on how interested you are and how much time you invest on it. I had a pretty good English teacher in high school, but some of my fellow students didn't seem to learn anything at all).
I've never read the Wizard of Oz, but it's one of those books that feel familiar because one has read about it and watched the movie...
Weird dreams... I wonder if it is the change of weather, because although mine are not that weird, I seem to have been dreaming more (or rather, remembering my dreams more), the last week or so.

Nik Nak said...

Hello, Mum

Nik Nak said...

hello mum

Freda said...

1 1900
2 Fra k Baum
3 Dorothy
4 Toto
5 Emerald City

Debbi said...

Ah! A nice easy one. Thanks! :)

1. 1900
2. L. Frank Baum
3. Dorothy
4. Toto
5. the Emerald City

The boy in the video with Jude. I'm assuming he's affecting an American accent. Kid's got talent. I'm always amazed when people can do that. :) And so young!

Me own British accent is all bollocked up. lol

Oh, hello mum! :)

Debbi said...

Oh, now I see. That's a narrator. Duh! :)