Thursday 12 September 2024

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 12th October 2024.

12th September 2024.


Right … it’s officially Thursday: and my knee is twanging.

Frankly?

I’m thankful I’ve got prescription painkillers, painkillers that are starting to kick in.

That makes things easier!

~≈💊≈~

Oh, I caught another episode of Babylon 5, last night.

It’s nice to see an episode with the late, great David McCallum in it.

But wasn’t surprised to find out his character was the villain of the piece.

They’re easy to spot: they’ve all got British accents!

I’ll be surprised if episode five’s villain doesn’t.

At any rate?

I’m enjoying it … but struggling not to laugh at moments of high seriousness.

Especially when Ivanova said “You’re too young to experience that much pain.” to another of the guest characters.

And said this with a straight face!

Only Dallas got that camp!

~≈🧴≈~

Hmmm … 

I have sleep apnoea: a condition that means I get very erratic sleep.

Unless I use the CPAP machine I’ve been given.

It turns out that — according to this report — an epilepsy drug called Sultiame could be helpful.

Although the BBC report tells us more investigation is needed.

Personally?

I don’t know if I’d go for it.

The CPAP machine seems to be working well enough for me.

And, with type two diabetes, an under-active thyroid, depression, joint pain, low blood pressure, and lord alone knows what’s happening in my chest … 

I’m on enough medication, already!

~≈💊≈~

Let’s move on.

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum*, Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        12th September, 2005, saw an English team win what: the World Cup, the Ashes or the Olympic 400m hurdles?

Q2)        Steve Biko died in police custody, on 12th September, 1977.   Where: Zimbabwe, South Africa or Lesotho?

Q3)        12th September, 1958, saw Jack Kilby demonstrate the first functioning what: transistor, integrated circuit or mouse?

Q4)        Richard March Hoe was born on 12th September, 1812.   Famously, Hoe invented a type of rotary what: lawnmower, printing press or threshing machine?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Composer, Hans Zimmer was born on 12th September, 1957.   Embarrassingly? He play keyboards for a 1985 single meant to help which TV show?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        11th September is the feast day of Saint Deiniol.   He was the first bishop of where: Bangor, Cardiff or Newport?
A1)        Bangor.

Q2)        The Coptic Orthodox Church traditionally marks Nayrouz on 11th September.     Except during a what: leap year, weekend or the 12th day of Christmas?
A2)        Leap year.   (It’s celebrated on the 12th, during a leap year.)

Q3)        Writer, D. H. Lawrence, was born on 11th September, 1885.   What did the H stand for?
A3)        Herbert.

Q4)        Muhammad Ali Jinnah died on 11th September, 1948.   He’d been the first Governor General of an independent where: Pakistan, India or Burma?
A4)        Pakistan.

Q5)        Finally … ?   11th September, 2005, saw Israeli troops leave, where: Gaza, the West Bank or the Golan Heights?
A5)        Gaza.
Here’s a thought …
“Sue Ellen was the original desperate housewife.”
Linda Grey, born September 12, 1940.
And a soundtrack …



Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        Hello, Mum!   (Can you remind Ruth we need to sort out dinner, please?)

†        From the very little I know, Olga, dementia medications are all like that: there’s only so much they can do!   The idea of a patch sounds OK, though: you’d only need to put it on once a day.
        But I know what you mean about the condition varying: Rob Wilkins, Terry Pratchett’s PA, business manager and biographer, said as much.   (His biography of Sir Terry is on Amazon in the UK: it may be useful for you …)
        On a separate note, I can remember Aunty Bella visiting, the Christmas after Grandma died: sobbing her eyes out.   I felt part of that was her grieving for Gran … but also crying for herself: she’d lost her identity as Grandma’s main carer.   I’m possibly mentioning that way too early, though … 
        At any rate … ?   Would keeping some of her favourite songs around help?   I get the impression that’s useful … 

        He does seem to crop up in these things, Debbi.   I’m assuming the who “City on the Edge of Forever” thing really stung!
        Oh, I caught the fourth episode, last night: David McCallum cropped up!   (There’s a school of thought that says modern Dr Who is camp, Debbi.   It’s not as camp as these first four episodes of Babylon 5!)

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) the Ashes

Q2) South Africa

Q3) integrated circuit

Q4) printing press

Q5) Doctor Who
Good point, Paul. That's why I'm trying to keep the few other things I do going for as long as I can, in part at least, although it can be a big effort sometimes.
And I like the suggestion of Sir Terry's biography. I'm sure it is interesting even without the dementia angle.

Mum said...

1 The Ashes
2 Sth Africa
3 Transitor
4 Printing Press
5 ??

Debbi said...

Star Trek could get really, really campy back in the day!

1. the Ashes
2. South Africa
3. integrated circuit (I remember when these were the new innovation!)
4. printing press (I could use one of those :))
5. Um ... MTV? Going for the Gold? I don't know.

Think I didn't notice how the villains had British accents? That's just not cool. :)

Not to this Anglophile. :)