† That reminds me, Olga, as we’ve mentioned stew: I’m going to have to start batch cooking some, next payday: it does come in handy!
I know what you mean about visiting parts of a home country: there’s bit’s of Essex — and the UK — I’ve never seen, but keep meaning to! My two sisters are far better travelled, in that regard. (As I recall? My step father had property in Andalusia: another part of the world I’ve not seen.)
That reminds me … I have to walk up the hill for my weight management class, today. I’ll need my coat: it looks like it’s going to rain … …
(Asturian’s called Bable? I have to wonder if that name’s linked to the words, Babel, or Babble?)
‡ The Guardian can bebad, Debbi. But not necessarily as bad as Autocorrect! Here …
Yes, I saw the recent post, Debbi: and left you a comment: I hope things improve!
Q4) Somoni (if the wikipedia spelling is correct. It seems it is named after a historical figure, a king of old, although it seems they spell his name Samani as well. I know, it is even more complicated with different alphabets.)
Q5) No I'll have to investigate on the origins of the name Bable. I have no idea, but I remember learning about the different languages as a child, even when they weren't considered "languages" or allowed to be used in an official capacity. (A lot of people spoke Catalan when I was small, but you weren't allowed to study it in schools, and you couldn't use it anywhere officially. They taught it in the primary school I attended, but the grades and everything else were not included in the official paperwork. Things changed when Franco died, but it took a while, and I remember when I went to secondary school (he died when I was 10) most of the other students had never studied Catalan. So, I had a bit of an advantage. I hope the meeting goes well today. I remember watching some Babylon 5 years back, but I can't recall any details.
Thanks, Paul! At some point, I'll be able to get treatment at NIH again. Which merely masks the symptoms. But it's better than nothing.
Meanwhile, I got a potato. Or po-tah-to. As you wish! :)
I have the vaguest memories of Babylon Five. I don't recall the politics. Mainly, I remember the guy who played Checkov on Star Trek having a scene where he said, "Be seeing you," to someone and giving the salute. :)
I was like, "Oh, boy. A Prisoner reference!" :)
1. the USSR 2. republic 3. Dushanbe 4. the somoni 5. no
I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?
I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.
Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.
Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.
If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.
Thank you.
* I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.
† Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.
Q1) the USSR
ReplyDeleteQ2) A republic
Q3) Dushanbe
Q4) Somoni (if the wikipedia spelling is correct. It seems it is named after a historical figure, a king of old, although it seems they spell his name Samani as well. I know, it is even more complicated with different alphabets.)
Q5) No
I'll have to investigate on the origins of the name Bable. I have no idea, but I remember learning about the different languages as a child, even when they weren't considered "languages" or allowed to be used in an official capacity. (A lot of people spoke Catalan when I was small, but you weren't allowed to study it in schools, and you couldn't use it anywhere officially. They taught it in the primary school I attended, but the grades and everything else were not included in the official paperwork. Things changed when Franco died, but it took a while, and I remember when I went to secondary school (he died when I was 10) most of the other students had never studied Catalan. So, I had a bit of an advantage.
I hope the meeting goes well today.
I remember watching some Babylon 5 years back, but I can't recall any details.
1 USSR
ReplyDelete2 Republic
3 Dusanbe
4 Somoni
5 No
Thanks, Paul! At some point, I'll be able to get treatment at NIH again. Which merely masks the symptoms. But it's better than nothing.
ReplyDeleteMeanwhile, I got a potato. Or po-tah-to. As you wish! :)
I have the vaguest memories of Babylon Five. I don't recall the politics. Mainly, I remember the guy who played Checkov on Star Trek having a scene where he said, "Be seeing you," to someone and giving the salute. :)
I was like, "Oh, boy. A Prisoner reference!" :)
1. the USSR
2. republic
3. Dushanbe
4. the somoni
5. no