Tuesday, 25 September 2012

The Daily Teaser — 25-09-2012

Hmmm … 

You know, I have to admit, I’m … badly off.

Especially after the glitches in the benefit system have left me cashless.

It’s actually got bad enough that I’ve signed up for help from a local food-bank.

I have to admit, that feels … odd: I’ve usually managed to be able to supply myself with dinner.

Oh, well … We’ll have to see what happens.

Let’s get moving on, shall we?   Yes, let’s … !

‹‹•››

Yesterday’s teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: along with commenting that my nephew, Jude, seems to be handling walking better than she is, also bagging 6 out of 6.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, license and videoº … 

Q1) 25th September, 1890, saw the US Congress establish Sequoia National Park: in which US state is that park … ?
Q2) More to the point, that park is named for the large number of Sequoia in it: what IS a sequoia … ?
Q3) Moving on … 25th September, 2009, saw three G20 Leaders accuse Iran of building a nuclear enrichment facility: name any one of those leaders.
Q4) 25th September, 1066, saw King Harold Godwinson win the Battle of Stamford Bridge: this is traditionally seen as marking the end of which age … ?
Q5) 25th September, 1950, saw UN forces capture which Korean city … ?
Q6) And finally … 25th September, 1951, saw the birth of which member of the cast of Star Wars … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 24th September, 622 AD saw the Prophet Muhammed complete his famous journey from Mecca to Medina: in which Middle Eastern country is Mecca … ?
A1) Saudi Arabia.
Q2) More to the point, in which year Muhammed return to Mecca?
A2) 630.
Q3) Equally to the point, the Muslim pilgrimage to Mecca is called what … ?
A3) The Hajj.
Q4) Moving on …24th September, 1890, saw the Mormons renounce polygamy: what’s the Mormon term for polygamy … ?
A4) Plural Marriage: or the Principle, according to some of the more fundamentalist modern Mormons.
Q5) 24th September, 1960, saw the launch of the world’s first nuclear powered aircraft carrier: what was its name … ?
A5) The USS Enterprise.
Q6) And finally … 24th September, 1979, saw the launch of the USA’s first commercial internet service: what was it called … ?
A6) CompuServe.
Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll leave you with this quote from noted Spanish director, Pedro Almodóvar …
“The silent film has a lot of meanings. The first part of the film is comic. It represents the burlesque feel of those silent films. But I think that the second part of the film is full of tenderness and emotion.”
 Pedro Almodóvar  born 25th September 1949
Or and a tune: today’s the birthday of Steve Severin, bassist and co-founder of Siouxsie and the Banshees.   He’s also the chap that wrote this … 





























*        Actually, Debbi, I’m tempted to tell you to lay off the hard stuff … ! :D But I know how you feel: if the weather’s really bad, over here, getting up that hill’s a job and a half: I know a certain US born mystery writer who seemed to cope with it pretty darn well … !

º        Actually, Debbi, just as another point … ?   You might want to scroll through to the end of today’s Teaser video.   The picture will look vaguely familiar: it’s standing in front of a large, white balloon, if that’s any help … 

1 comment:

  1. Maybe because my next appointment for Botox injections is coming soon, I'm feeling a bit worse than usual. My body feels a bit unbalanced. But I'm sure I can manage. I haven't slipped in the tub again. Yet! :)

    I like the images on the teaser video. :) Of course!

    1. California
    2. a redwood tree
    3. Gordon Brown, Nicolas Sarkozy and Barack Obama
    4. the Viking Age
    5. Seoul
    6. Mark Hamill, aka, Luke Skywalker :)

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.