Tuesday 25 September 2012

The Daily Teaser — 25-09-2012

Hmmm … 

You know, I have to admit, I’m … badly off.

Especially after the glitches in the benefit system have left me cashless.

It’s actually got bad enough that I’ve signed up for help from a local food-bank.

I have to admit, that feels … odd: I’ve usually managed to be able to supply myself with dinner.

Oh, well … We’ll have to see what happens.

Let’s get moving on, shall we?   Yes, let’s … !

‹‹•››

Yesterday’s teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: along with commenting that my nephew, Jude, seems to be handling walking better than she is, also bagging 6 out of 6.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, license and videoº … 

Q1) 25th September, 1890, saw the US Congress establish Sequoia National Park: in which US state is that park … ?
Q2) More to the point, that park is named for the large number of Sequoia in it: what IS a sequoia … ?
Q3) Moving on … 25th September, 2009, saw three G20 Leaders accuse Iran of building a nuclear enrichment facility: name any one of those leaders.
Q4) 25th September, 1066, saw King Harold Godwinson win the Battle of Stamford Bridge: this is traditionally seen as marking the end of which age … ?
Q5) 25th September, 1950, saw UN forces capture which Korean city … ?
Q6) And finally … 25th September, 1951, saw the birth of which member of the cast of Star Wars … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 24th September, 622 AD saw the Prophet Muhammed complete his famous journey from Mecca to Medina: in which Middle Eastern country is Mecca … ?
A1) Saudi Arabia.
Q2) More to the point, in which year Muhammed return to Mecca?
A2) 630.
Q3) Equally to the point, the Muslim pilgrimage to Mecca is called what … ?
A3) The Hajj.
Q4) Moving on …24th September, 1890, saw the Mormons renounce polygamy: what’s the Mormon term for polygamy … ?
A4) Plural Marriage: or the Principle, according to some of the more fundamentalist modern Mormons.
Q5) 24th September, 1960, saw the launch of the world’s first nuclear powered aircraft carrier: what was its name … ?
A5) The USS Enterprise.
Q6) And finally … 24th September, 1979, saw the launch of the USA’s first commercial internet service: what was it called … ?
A6) CompuServe.
Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll leave you with this quote from noted Spanish director, Pedro Almodóvar …
“The silent film has a lot of meanings. The first part of the film is comic. It represents the burlesque feel of those silent films. But I think that the second part of the film is full of tenderness and emotion.”
 Pedro Almodóvar  born 25th September 1949
Or and a tune: today’s the birthday of Steve Severin, bassist and co-founder of Siouxsie and the Banshees.   He’s also the chap that wrote this … 





























*        Actually, Debbi, I’m tempted to tell you to lay off the hard stuff … ! :D But I know how you feel: if the weather’s really bad, over here, getting up that hill’s a job and a half: I know a certain US born mystery writer who seemed to cope with it pretty darn well … !

º        Actually, Debbi, just as another point … ?   You might want to scroll through to the end of today’s Teaser video.   The picture will look vaguely familiar: it’s standing in front of a large, white balloon, if that’s any help … 

1 comment:

Debbi said...

Maybe because my next appointment for Botox injections is coming soon, I'm feeling a bit worse than usual. My body feels a bit unbalanced. But I'm sure I can manage. I haven't slipped in the tub again. Yet! :)

I like the images on the teaser video. :) Of course!

1. California
2. a redwood tree
3. Gordon Brown, Nicolas Sarkozy and Barack Obama
4. the Viking Age
5. Seoul
6. Mark Hamill, aka, Luke Skywalker :)