Tuesday, 18 September 2012

The Daily Teaser — 18-09-2012

I was right about yesterday being a Monday, I swear.

I usually get my benefit money through, every other Monday.

The last one … ?   Was yesterday.  

Which didn’t go through,

Apparently over a Failure to Attend the Work Programme that I have to go to.

The date in question was when I had a hospital appointment, which I duly notified ALL the relevant people about.

Work Programme AND Jobcentre.

I hate sounding like a whinging scrounger, I really do.

But, my word, there’s plenty I could be saying, here.

At any rate, enough of my problems.

Let’s get moving on, shall we?

Before I use this sort of language … 


÷÷÷÷÷

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers: and, along with mentioning THAT movie*, also bagging 5 out of 5.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, license and video … 

Q1) 18th September, 1961, saw the death — in a plane crash — of Dag Hammarskjöld: which body was he the General Secretary of … ?
Q2) More to the point, Hammarskjöld was involved in peace talks in a civil war in which African country … ?
Q3) Moving on … 9 years later, 18th September, 1970, saw the death of rock legend, Jimi Hendrix: what was the name of his band’s first UK hit album … ?
Q4) More to the point, what was the name of the last album Hendrix completed, during his lifetime … ?
Q5) Moving on … 18th September, 1739, saw the signing of the Treaty of Belgrade: which ceded Belgrade to which empire … ?
Q6) 18th September, 1851, saw the first publication of The New York Times: under what name … ?
Q7) And finally … 18th September, 1972, saw refugees from where start to arrive in the UK … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 17th September, 1859, saw Joshua Norton declare himself Norton 1st … of where …?   A1) The USA.
Q2) 17th September, 1974, saw both Grenada and Bangladesh join the UN: along with which other country … ?   A2) Guinea-Bissau.
Q3) 17th September, 2011, saw the start of the Occupy Wall Street movement: in which New York Park … ?   A3) Zucotti Park.
Q4) 17th September is the birthday of Sir Stirling Moss and Roddy McDowell: which of them is older … ?   A4) Roddy McDowell.   Stirling was born one year later … 
Q5) And finally … 17th September, 1982, saw over a thousand people massacred in which city … ?   A5) Beirut.
Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll catch you later.

After I’ve left you with Third Stone From The Sun, as a nod to the late Jimi Hendrix, who died today in 1970.


And with this quote from Greta Garbo …
“I never said, ‘I want to be alone.’ I only said, ‘I want to be let alone!’ There is all the difference.”
Greta Garbo 18 September 1905 – 15 April 1990













*        Plastics, Debbiª … ?   Now I’m confused … !

ª        Love a Duck … ?   Now THERE’S a phrase.   (I’m half convinced it’s one Hollywood made up, to make Dick van Dyke sound really English in Mary Poppins.   Best to let him do what he does best, I think … 

1 comment:

  1. Testing, 1, 2, 3 :)

    1. the UN
    2. the Congo
    3. Are You Experienced
    4. Electric Ladyland
    5. the Ottoman Empire
    6. the New York Daily Times
    7. Uganda

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.