Tuesday, 11 September 2012

The Daily Teaser — 11-09-2012

*Yawns Gently, sips tea*

Yep … 

It’s one of those morning, where a touch more sleep could’ve come in handy.

But there we go.

At ANY rate … ?

At any, having managed to get out of bed, this morning, the least I can do is offer my congratulations to Andy Murray.   He’s managed to actually win a Grand Slam title: this year’s US Open, at Flushing Meadows, in New York.

Given that Great Britain’s done rather well in this year’s Olympic Games, I think we can say that’s a rather nice finish to the summer, wouldn’t you … ?

Let’s get moving on, shall we … 

~~~~~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers: and, along with agreeing with me that Steven Moffat feeling he had to get off Twitter* was sad, also managing to bag 5 out of 5.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 11th September, 2001, saw the notorious al-Qaeda attacks on New York: what does al-Qaeda translate into English as?
Q2) More to the point, al-Qaeda’s leader, Osama bin Laden, was in which country, when finally killed by US special forces … ?
Q3) Moving on … 11th September, 1565, saw Ottoman forces retreat from which island, at the end of a siege: Malta, Gibraltar or Sicily … ?
Q4) 11th September, 2005, saw Israeli troops finally pull out of which contested area … ?
Q5) 11th September, 1919, saw US troops invade which Central American republic?
Q6) And finally … 11th September, 1847, saw the first performance of which American song … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) According to the WHO, 10th September, 2012, is World what Prevention Day … ?
A1) Suicide.
Q2) 10th September, 1932, saw the IND line go into operation: this was the  third line in which city’s Tube system … ?
A2) New York’s.
Q3) 10th September, 1823, saw who named as President of Peru … ?
A3) Simón Bolivar.
Q4) 10th September, 1988, saw TV presenters Mike Smith and Sarah Greene involved in a serious helicopter crash: they survived, and went on to marry in which year …?
A4) 1989.
Q5) And finally … 10th September, 1963, saw which credit card service go into service in the UK … ?
A5) American Express.   (Although strictly speaking, it’s a Charge card.)
Enjoy those, everyone.

I’ll leave you with this quote from D. H. Lawrence, after Sons and Lovers was initially rejected …
“Curse the blasted, jelly-boned swines, the slimy, the belly-wriggling invertebrates, the miserable sodding rotters, the flaming sods, the sniveling, dribbling, dithering palsied pulse-less lot that make up England today.”
D. H. Lawrenceª (11 September 1885 – 2 March 1930)
And, in memory of the late Peter Tosh, here’s Steppin’ Razor, who died on this day in 1987…



















*        Definitely a bit sad, when that happens, Debbiº … 

ª        Not a man without anger management issues … 

º        If it’s any help, though, Debbi … ?   Episode 3’s a western … 


1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I noticed that. Looked pretty fun! :)

    1. the base
    2. Pakistan
    3. Malta
    4. the Gaza Strip
    5. Honduras (maybe)
    6. Oh! Susanna

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.