Monday, 24 September 2012

The Daily Teaser — 24-09-2012

You know, I’m thinking — right here and now — that I still hate Mondays.

No, really.

Not only have I managed to not set my alarm again — I hate doing that — but there’s also more bloody roadworks going on.

Complete, I should add, with some more early morning drilling.

That’s probably annoying those of my neighbours that are still in, as much as it’s annoying me.

I have to admit … I agree with Bob … 


Let’s get moving on, shall we … ?

~~~~~

Yesterday’s teaser saw Debbi putting in her her answers.   Along with letting us know she’s a children-free zone*, she also managed to bag 6 out of 7.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, license and video … 

Q1) 24th September, 622 AD saw the Prophet Muhammed complete his famous journey from Mecca to Medina: in which Middle Eastern country is Mecca … ?
Q2) More to the point, in which year Muhammed return to Mecca?
Q3) Equally to the point, the Muslim pilgrimage to Mecca is called what … ?
Q4) Moving on …24th September, 1890, saw the Mormons renounce polygamy: what’s the Mormon term for polygamy … ?
Q5) 24th September, 1960, saw the launch of the world’s first nuclear powered aircraft carrier: what was its name … ?
Q6) And finally … 24th September, 1979, saw the launch of the USA’s first commercial internet service: what was it called … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 23rd September, 2012 is this years’s Autumnal Equinox: in which hemisphere?
A1) The Northern hemisphere.
Q2) More to the point, which equinox is it, in the other hemisphere … ?
A2) The spring equinox.
Q3) Even MORE to the point, the equinox marks the time of year when what are of equal length … ?
A3) Night and day.
Q4) As a final equinoctial question … In which year did Jean Michel Jarré release his Equinoxe album … ?
A4) 1978.
Q5) 23rd September, 1845, saw the founding of the Knickerbockers Baseball Club: in which US city … ?
A5) New York.
Q6) 23rd September, 1980, saw Bob Marley perform the last concert of his life: what was the name of his last UK Top Forty hit, during his lifetime … ?
A6) Three Little Birds.
Q7) And finally … 23rd September, 2000, saw which British sportsman win their fifth Olympic gold … ?
A7) Sir Steve Redgrave.
Enjoy those, everyone.

Given it’s Gerry Marsden’s birthday, today … ?   I’ll leave you with this classic … 


And this gag from fellow birthday boy, Jack Dee …
“I was gonna get a BMW and rang my dad who knows a bit about cars. He said, 'You can't get a German car after what your granddad went through in the war.' Now I didn't know about this but apparently, during the Second World War, my granddad had a succession of very unreliable German cars.”
Jack Dee, born 24 September 1961














*        Actually, Debbi …

1 comment:

  1. That's really awesome, Paul! :) I think Jude walks better than I do. Ha ha!

    1. Saudi Arabia
    2. 630
    3. the Hajj
    4. plural marriage
    5. the USS Enterprise
    6. CompuServe

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.