Wednesday, 13 March 2013

The Brentwood Gazette’s Weekly Teaser — 13-3-2013

Well, it has to be said, I’ve just been in to Brentwood Library: and, happily, managed to pick meself a copy of William Gibson’s Pattern Recognition.

I’ve been meaning to read it for years … !

Now I’ve finished both Terry Pratchett’s Dodger and Debbi Mack’s Riptide — and thoroughly enjoyed both —  I’ve got the perfect chance to.

At any rate … ?   At ANY rate, it’s Wednesday: which means it’s time for the Brentwood Gazette’s Weekly Teaser.

Here’s this week’s Evolutionary questions.
Q1) 13th March, 1925 saw the teaching of Evolution banned in which US state: Tennessee, Texas or Utah … ?
Q2) What was the name of the teacher eventually — and famously — prosecuted for violating this law: John T. Scopes, Jean B. Goode or Jonty Smith … ?
Q3) Was that state the 14th, 15th or 16th to join the USA … ?
Q4) Moving on, slightly … the teacher’s trial was known as the what trial … ?
Q5) The 1960 film — with Spencer Tracey — based on these events was called ‘Inherit the’ what … ?
Q6) Who popularized the theory of evolution, in his book, On the Origin  of Species … ?
Q7) More to the point, what did he call evolution … ?
Q8) What’s the name of the theory — usually followed by devout christians — that says that the universe was designed … ?
Q9) Which boy-band released a 2012 album called ‘Evolution’ … ?
Q10) Finally … In which year was the film, ‘Evolution‘ — with David Duchovny and Julianne Moore — released … ?
And here’s last week’s questions and answers …
Questions.
Q1) 6th March saw Aspirin registered as a trademark.   In which year of the 1890s … ?
Q2) More to the point, what was the name of the company that registered it: Schwarz, Bayer or GlaxoSmithKline … ?
Q3) Aspirin famously is supposed to help act as what: an anti-inflammatory, an anti-pyretic (reducing fever) or an analgesic (reducing pain) … ?
Q4) The company that registered Aspirin is headquartered in which German city: Dusseldorf, Leverkusen or Cologne … ?
Q5) That company also marketed Heroin: in the run up to which World War … ?
Q6) Equally, they marketed Heroin as completely non what … ?
Q7) While we’re on the subject: Heroin is a stronger version of which drug: morphine, cocaine or ecstasy … ?
Q8) Heroin — and the associated drugs — are all made from a version of which flower … ?
Q9) Moving backwards … Aspirin ultimately comes from the bark of which tree … ?
Q10) And finally … In the film version of ‘The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy,’ which character says “Now I’ve got a headache …!” … ?
Answers.
A1) 1899.
A2) Bayer.
A3) Actually, all three.
A4) Leverkusen.
A5) World War 1.
A6) Non-addictive.   (How wrong can you be … ?)
A7) Morphine.
A8) The poppy.
A9) The Willow.
A10) Marvin the Paranoid Android.
Enjoy those, everyone,

Oh, and enjoy the tune … !

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.