Saturday 14 May 2016

The Daily Teaser — 14-5-2016

Right … 

That seemed to help, yesterday.

Recently, as you’re no doubt aware, I’ve been getting a seriously nasty set of stomach cramps.

That, seemingly, wasn’t shifting.

Yesterday, though, at work?

I managed to take in the Buscopan I’d been prescribed.   As well as having a sandwich for dinner, instead of the usual chicken, and drinking LOTS of water.

I think I can say I managed.

Right now … ?

All I’ve got on my mind … 

Is the earworm left to me by a friend on Facebook … 


~≈†≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* putting in her answers: scoring ten out of ten in the process.   The day ALSO saw Debbi† looking in to say ‘Hello’: and that motor racing left her clueless!

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 14th May, 1897, saw the first public performance of The Stars and Stripes, Forever, America’s National March.   Who composed The Stars and Stripes, Forever?
Q2) In the Gregorian version of the calendar, 14th May, 1607, saw the founding of an English colony in what’s now Virginia.   WHICH colony?
Q3) 14th May, 1889, saw the original launch of the charity, the NSPCC.   The initials stand for the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to … whom?
Q4) 14th May, 1973, saw NASA launch Skylab: which came back to Earth in 1979.   Which space station has spent the most time in orbit?
Q5) Finally … A Japanese submarine sank the AHS Centaur: on 14th May, 1943.   Was the Centaur an aircraft carrier, hospital ship or mailboat?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) The very first F1 World Championship took place, today: in which year of the 1950s?
A1) 1950.
Q2) The Championships consist of two competitions, over the course of the season.   One is for drivers.   Who’s the other for?
A2) Constructors: the teams that build the cars, in other words.
Q3) The Championships are on decided on a points basis.   At races called Grand … what?
A3) Prix.
Q4) All of these races — bar one — are at least how long: 200 km, 300 km or 400 km?
A4) 300 km.
Q5) Which of the races is the one exception?
A5) The Monaco Grand Prix.
Q6) That one exceptional race has held the second most number of times in the World Championship era.   Name either of the countries to have held the most races?
A6) Italy or the UK.
Q7) Which US race is one of the few NON-F1 races to have been part of the World Championship?
A7) The Indianapolis 500.   (The 500 was part of the Championship between 1950 and 1960.)
Q8) The first Drivers World Championship was one by Giuseppe Farina.   Which European country was Farina from?
A8) Italy.
Q9) Which team was he driving for: Alfa Romeo, Ferrari or Maserati?
Q10) Finally … the ‘F’ in the phrase, ‘F1,’ stands for ‘Formula’.   The Formula refers to the design of what: the race cars, the race course or the drivers’ uniforms?
A10) Cars.   (That’s one very carefully phrased question.   I was going to write “The ‘F’ in ‘F1’”, but thought “No, that doesn’t sound too clever … ”)
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“I haven’t been off the stage for the last seven years - and at weekends, I appear in cabaret.”
Siân Phillips, born 14 May 1933.
And this tune from Sidney Bechet … 


Enjoy your day … 











*        Well, yesterday went well enough, Olga: I think drinking water, rather than cola, helped!   Little bit LESS strain on the kidneys.

†        You know, I’ve not read Teatime, more than once, Debbi: I might have to give it another go.   You DO know Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency was derived from Shada: the Dr Who story that was never completed?   Yesterday went well enough: but I’m still concerned: understandably, I think.

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) John Philip Sousa
Q2) Jamestown
Q3) Children
Q4) The ISS (International Space Station)
Q5) A hospital ship.
Fingers crossed, although hopefully tests will give some clue. I got reading about the space stations... Fascinating subject(it sounds as if Russians have more interesting ideas about it. Mind you, they've always had interesting ideas. The execution sometimes...)

Debbi said...

I did not know that! I learn so much here! :)

And you should read it. I love Adams' style.

1. John Philip Sousa
2. Jamestown
3. Children
4. the International Space Station
5. hospital ship