Wednesday 18 May 2016

The Daily Teaser — 18-5-2016

You know, right now … ?

Right now, I’ve got a day or two off.

Which I’m looking forward to.

Although I think I’ve got a confession.   I am SORELY tempted to spend a little of my savings money.

Remember, a few months ago, I managed to ruin an external hard drive I had?   One with a heck of a lot of backed up TV shows.

Frankly, the only one that’s still missing is the rebooted Battlestar Galactica: which was a fantastic piece of work, and one I felt to be better than the original series.

I am sorely tempted to break into my savings, to get the box set.

But I’ll possibly have to think about that …

~≈†≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1) 18th May, 1860, saw Abraham Lincoln named as Republican Party candidate for the upcoming Presidential elections.   His rival, William H. Seward, would later become US what: Secretary of Defense, Secretary of State or Vice President?
Q2) 18th May, 1944, saw Allied forces finally capture Monte Cassino.   The town — and battle — centred around Monte Cassino’s famous what?
Q3) Gangs of Mods and Rockers famously fought: on 18th May, 1964.   The biggest fights were where: Brighton, Bristol or Yarmouth?
Q4) 18th May, 1910, saw the Earth pass through the tail of what?
Q5) Finally … 18th May, 1868, saw the birth of Nicholas 2nd: the last Tsar of Russia.   What had his enemies nicknamed him: Nicholas the Weak, Nicholas the Hairy or Nicholas the Bloody?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) At least nine people were killed in a shoot-out, in Waco, Texas: on 17th May, 2015.   Between rival gangs of what?
A1) Bikers.
Q2) 17th May saw the Government announce the RAF had bombed Germany’s Ruhr Valley region: with a revolutionary bouncing bomb.   The raids were known as the what raids?
A2) The Dambusters raids.
Q3) 17th May, 2004, saw the first legal, same sex marriages take place in the USA.   The wedding took place in which state of the USA?
A3) Massachusetts.
Q4) Which birthday boy is (theoretically) older: screenwriter, Dennis Potter, or actor, Dennis Hopper?
A4) Dennis Potter, born 17th May, 1935: Dennis Hopper is a year younger, having been born on 17th May, 1936.
Q5) Finally … 178th May, 1994, saw the very first multi-party elections, held, where: Madagascar, Malawi or Mauritius?
A5) Malawi.
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“Pure mathematics consists entirely of assertions to the effect that, if such and such a proposition is true of anything, then such and such another proposition is true of that thing.”
Bertrand Russell, 18 May 1872 – 2 February 1970.
And this song …


Have a good day!








*        Yep, it was Sinead that went missing, Olga: lord knows what happened, there, but she’s had her issues, over the years!   (You know, I don’t think I’ve seen MUCH of Dennis Potter’s work: BAR The Singing Detectives, and Blackeyes.   But, my WORD, The Singing Detectives was a work of genius … )

†        GOT to confess, I was never a huge fan, Debbi: but Orinocco Flow is always worth a listen!   Actually, I think she was in Clannad, when the did the theme tunes to Harry’s Game and Robin Hood: but don’t quote me!


2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Secretary of State
Q2) abbey
Q3) Brighton
Q4) Comet Halley
Q5) The Bloody
I remember the Singing Detective from when I was still in Spain. I've always followed Michael Gambon's career with interest since and was lucky enough to see him on stage once (In Harold Pinter's the Caretaker. I like Pennies from Heaven, although I remember better the movie...

Debbi said...

The Singing Detective is one of my favorite shows!

1. Secretary of State
2. St. Benedict of Nursia
3. Brighton
4. Halley's Comet
5. Nicholas the Bloody