Saturday 7 May 2016

The Daily Teaser — 7-5-2016

Well, here we are!

It’s now the last day of my holiday: I’m back to work, tomorrow.

And, if nothing else … ?

I’m going to be looking forward to one thing.

Given it’s actually been rather warm over the past few days, I’m looking forward to simply having my windows open.

That way … ?

I can get some air going through my flat.

Well, single bloke, on his own …

The fresh air comes in handy … !

~≈Ç≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1) The tomb of Herod the Great was discovered: on 7th May, 2007.   According to the Bible, Herod is supposed to have ordered the Massacre of whom?
Q2) 7th May, 1812, saw the birth of poet, Robert Browning.   Who was he married to?
Q3) 7th April, 1487, saw the start of the Siege of Málaga.   The siege was during which part of Spanish history: the Civil War, the Reconquista or the Golden Age of Spain?   (Just in case I get a look?   My knowledge of Spanish history isn’t stunning!!)
Q4) 7th April, 1937, saw the German Condor Legion Arrive in Spain: during the Spanish Civil War.   The legion’s most notorious attack was the bombing of where?
Q5) Finally … Vladimir Putin became President of Russia: on 7th May, 2000.   Who’s the current President of Russia?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 6th April, 1937, saw the Hindenburg catch fire: whilst attempting to dock in New Jersey, USA.   The Hindenburg was what: a biplane, airship or helicopter?
A1) An airship.
Q2) George 5th became king of the UK, on 6th May, 1910: after the death of his father.   Who WAS his father?
A2) Edward 7th.
Q3) One of the world’s first practical computers, the EDSAC, went into operation on 6th May, 1949.   At which university: Oxford, Cambridge or Harvard?
A3) Cambridge.
Q4) 6th May, 1536, saw Henry 8th issue orders that a specific item should be placed in churches.   What: a Torah scroll, an English language Bible or an minaret?
A4) An English language edition of the bible.
Q5) Finally … Saint Martin de Porres was canonized by the Pope: on 6th April, 1962.   By which Pope?
A5) John 23rd.
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“You can run but you cannot hide.”
Traci Lords, born 7th May,1968.
And this song …


You have to love a classic piece of sampling, don’t you … ?

Have a good day!














*        I’ve got to admit, it was nice and relaxing, Olga: I’m (metaphorically) have to write like a maniac, today, though: to at least get a start on the Gazette’s June Teasers.   Oh, and you’r officially DJ Olga?   I’m tempted to ask if we can book you for a party, but that would be silly, wouldn’t it?   Oh, I’ve had another look at the Wikipedia for Saint Martin?   I’ll try and have a look around, for his beatification, but do know there’s no mentions of any contradictions on the Talk page

†        Well … Yank, possibly, Debbi: I know there’s a BIT of argument about the term!   Dumb?   Never!!  :D   (At ANY rate, did I mention?   We had the local elections, on Thursday: the commentary is only JUST dying down.   And what did I do, last night?   Sat down with House of Cards … !)

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) The Innocents
Q2) Elizabeth Barrett
Q3) The Reconquista. The Arabs where in Spain from the 8th Century until the 15th so…
Q4) Guernica
Q5) Vladimir Putin (it seems he took a holiday from 2008 to 2012 to be Prime Minister. President twice and Prime Minister twice. )
I guess DJ, but without the computer system, called Myriad, I don't think I'd manage. Oh, the comment about the canonization wasn't about St Martin. I meant John XXIII was himself canonized in 2014.

Debbi said...

So good that you decided to vote! :) Concerned citizen that you are.

1. Jesus
2. Elizabeth Barrett Browning
3. the Reconquista
4. Guernica
5. Vladimir Putin