Sunday 8 May 2016

The Daily Teaser — 8-5-2016

Right then … I’m back to work, today.

And … possibly … looking forward to it.

Possibly?

Well, I’m doing a 12 ’til 9:30 shift: so it’s going to be a comparatively long shift.

In a sense?

I’m looking forward to it: it means I’ll be doing something, today.

Although, frankly … ?

One more day’s holiday would’ve been nice!

~≈Ê≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mr Strict*, Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with all of them scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyones does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 8th May is VE Day: or Victory in Europe Day.   Marking the end — in Europe — of what?
Q2) Paramount Pictures was founded: on 8th May, 1912.   The company is the last to have its HQ in which part of Los Angeles?
Q3) Hernando de Soto reached the Río de Espíritu Santo, on 8th May, 1541.   That US river is now called … what?
Q4) 8th May, 1898, saw the first games played.  In which country’s football leagues: France’s, Italy’s or Spain’s?
Q5) Finally … 8th May, 1980, saw the WHO announce the eradication of which disease?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) The tomb of Herod the Great was discovered: on 7th May, 2007.   According to the Bible, Herod is supposed to have ordered the Massacre of whom?
A1) The Massacre of the Innocents.
Q2) 7th May, 1812, saw the birth of poet, Robert Browning.   Who was he married to?
Q3) 7th April, 1487, saw the start of the Siege of Málaga.   The siege was during which part of Spanish history: the Civil War, the Reconquista or the Golden Age of Spain?
A3) The Reconquista.   (I’m really not up on Spanish History!)
Q4) 7th April, 1937, saw the German Condor Legion Arrive in Spain: during the Spanish Civil War.   The legion’s most notorious attack was the bombing of where?
A4) Guernica.
Q5) Finally … Vladimir Putin became President of Russia: on 7th May, 2000.   Who’s the current President of Russia?
I’ll leave you with this (mildly ironic) thought …
“If you’re careful, you don’t have to worry about being attacked by sea creatures.”

Peter Benchley, author of Jaws, May 8, 1940 – February 11, 2006.
And this tune, given it’s Robert Johnson’s birthday … 


Given that yesterday saw Mr S giving us Vladimimr Putin’s odder phone-in moments … ?


I give you Maggie Thatcher on children’s TV … 


Strange … !

Have a good day … !












*        It’s known As the Massacr of the Innocents, Mr S, but as it’s you … ! :D   (Oh, ta for the video: I still think Vladimir being asked about buying a dog, isn’t as strange as Margaret Thatcher on a children’s TV show. The show ALSO had the leader of the opposition, AND the leaders of the third biggest party at the time: it was weird TV … !)

†        You know, I wouldn’t mind a look at that, Olga: I’m bit of a software geek … !   I always make do with iTunes, but, obviously, that’s a totally different piece of music management software!   (Yeah, I’d noticed it was a long patch, Olga: I have to admit, I really tried to phrase that question, very carefully!)

‡        Got to admit, I went Green on the locals, Debbi: and Lib-Dem on the Police Commissioner vote. I didn’t think spoiling my vote was a good thing, this year, as there was a genuine alternative.

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) World War II
Q2) Hollywood
Q3) Mississippi
Q4) Italy
Q5) Smallpox
I hope your day back to work goes well (I don't know for you, but for me I quickly forgot I'd ever been off...)

Debbi said...

Awesome! Wish we had a functional 3-party system here!

1. World War II
2. Hollywood
3. Mississippi River
4. Italy's
5. smallpox