Thursday 19 May 2016

The Daily Teaser — 19-5-2016

OK, I’ll admit it: I’ve broken into my savings!

Up until a few months ago, I’d had a lot of backed up TV series on a high capacity external hard drive.

Which then went and died, after falling off a table!

About the only series I hadn’t recovered?

Was the rebooted Battlestar Galactica: something I always felt was one heck of an improvement on the original.

Still … ?

I’ve had enough savings in my account to go and buy a copy of the box set.

Which is good.

Mind you … 

Buying Season Nine of Dr Who was possibly over doing it … 

~≈®≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with Olga scoring five out of five, and Debbi scoring four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 19th May, 1985, saw the birth of Chris Loudon.   Chris is a famous player of which game: snooker, darts or ten pin bowling?
Q2) 19th May, 1948, saw the birth of actress, singer and model, Grace Jones.   Her two biggest UK hit’s both reached number 12 in the charts.   Name either song.
Q3) Valery Giscard d’Estaing was elected as French President: on 19th May, 1974.   Who did he replace?
Q4) 19th May, 1941, saw the formation of what: the Young Pioneers, the Viet Minh or the Comintern?
Q5) Finally … Nine people were killed in the eruption of Mount St. Helens of 19th May, 1980.   The volcano is in which US state?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 18th May, 1860, saw Abraham Lincoln named as Republican Party candidate for the upcoming Presidential elections.   His rival, William H. Seward, would later become US what: Secretary of Defense, Secretary of State or Vice President?
A1) Secretary of State.
Q2) 18th May, 1944, saw Allied forces finally capture Monte Cassino.   The town — and battle — centred around Monte Cassino’s famous what?
A2) Monastery/abbey.
Q3) Gangs of Mods and Rockers famously fought: on 18th May, 1964.   The biggest fights were where: Brighton, Bristol or Yarmouth?
Q4) 18th May, 1910, saw the Earth pass through the tail of what?
Q5) Finally … 18th May, 1868, saw the birth of Nicholas 2nd: the last Tsar of Russia.   What had his enemies nicknamed him: Nicholas the Weak, Nicholas the Hairy or Nicholas the Bloody?
A5) Nicholas the Bloody.
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“When I go to restaurants I can never get my legs under a table. I bump my head in planes. People who sit behind me in the theater hate me. But I have given up apologizing to the world.”
Peter Mayhew, born 19th May, 1944.
Given it’s the late Joey Ramone’s birthday, I’ll leave you with this tune … 


Have a good day … 














*        I’ve always tried to keep an eye on him, Olga‡: although I don’t know if I’ve ever caught him in anything other than The Singing Detective: I keep thinking I should put The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover  on my watch list, but never do!   (I keep meaning to add Brimstone and Treacle, as well, that’s another Potter!   Both the TV and film version were controversial!)


†        It’s an utter classic, isn’t it, Debbi‡?   It’s possibly one of the few shows I’ve ever put in the same bracket as The Prisoner.   (Actually, Bill Paterson, who plays the psychologist treating the Michael Gambon character, ALSO turns up in Dr Who: he plays Professor Bracewell in Victory of the Daleks.)


‡        Can I find an online copy of The Singing Detective’s version of Dry Bones?   Can I … ?   Can I, HECK!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

1 ten pin bowlin
2 -
3 De Galle
4 Vietnam Minh
5 Washington State

Olga said...

Q1) Darts
Q2) Slave to the Rhythm and Pull Up to the Bumper. I thought she was younger, I’m not sure why
Q3) George Pompidou
Q4) The Viet Minh
Q5) Washington State
The BBC store seem to have the Singing Detective available for Download...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/products/17073

Debbi said...

It was WAY up there in brilliance! :)

1. darts
2. Slave to the Rhythm
3. Georges Pompidou
4. the Viet Minh
5. Washington