Sunday 2 October 2016

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 2-10-2016: Gandhi

Did I mention it was my sister’s birthday, yesterday?

I’m sure I did.

At ANY rate … ?

At any rate, it meant ending up at a mildly posh restaurant in Billericay.

Or was it just outside Basildon?

The latter, I think.

At ANY rate … !!!   I think we can say Ruth enjoyed herself.

AND that everyone had a good meal.

Although frankly?

Frankly, this morning, I’m thinking I could do with more sleep!

~≈Î≈~
But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring six out of six.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s themed questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 2nd October saw the birth of Indian Civil Rights leader, Mahatma Gandhi.   In which year of the 1860s?
Q2) Gandhi studied Law in the UK: in the Inner Temple.   The Inner Temple is one of four Inns of Court: in which UK city?
Q3) In 1893, Gandhi started practicing law: in which country of the British Empire?
Q4) Gandhi returned to India, when: 1914, 1915 or 1916?
Q5) The first of Gandhi’s major Indian protests were in Bihar and Gujarat.   He help indentured labourers who grew what: saffron, indigo or rice?
Q6) Gandhi also organised what’s occasionally called the Dandi March.   The March were in protest against a British monopoly: on the production of what?
Q7) What was the term Gandhi used for the non-violent protests he organised: Sayonara, Satyagraha or Sitonacushion?
Q8) Famously, Gandhi opposed sati.   Sati is the suicide of a woman after whose death?
Q9) What was the name of the political party that Gandhi was president of?
Q10) Finally … Gandhi’s been known as ‘Mahatma’ for many years.   In Sanskit, Mahatma means Great … what?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) Al Jackson Jr was shot dead: on 1st October, 1975.   He was a founding member of — and drummer for — which Stax band?
A1) Booker T and the MGs.   (Just as a nod to the man … ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bpS-cOBK6Q )
Q2) Annie Besant was born: on 1st October, 1847.   Famously, she campaigned for workers in the Bryant and May factory in London.   A factory that made what?
A2) Matches.   (You can read more about the strike, here.)
Q3) She ALSO campaigned for what: birth control, temperance or the abolition of slavery?
Q4) Today is the National day of the People’s Republic of China.   What was the last Imperial dynasty to rule what’s now the People’s Republic?
A4) The Qing dynasty.   (They’ve also been called the Great Qing, or the Manchu.)
Q5) The siege of Dubrovnik started: on 1st October, 1991.   Dubrovnik’s in which modern country?
A5) Croatia.
Q6) Finally … Sony released the CDP-101 on 1st October, 1982.   The machine was the world’s first commercial device: for playing what?
A6) CDs.
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“Whatever the ultimate fate of my country, my love for you remains, and will remain, undiminished. My non-violence demands universal love, and you are not a small part of it. It is that love which has prompted my appeal to you.”
From To Every Briton, by M. K. Gandhi, published 2nd July, 1940 in the New Delhi Times.
And this tune … 


Enjoy your day … 







*        Thanks, Olga, I’ll pass those on to Ruth.   At ANY rate?   I think I’m going to be thumb-twiddling, until I hear.   Or, at least, looking up more jobs!   (The mild irony?   My other sister, Anna, keeps sending me jobs she sees on one or two sites.   Half of which have already turned me down … … )

†        The EPA has sick buildings?   Now, why am I not surprised, Debbi?   And why was I looking at about half of the symptoms,  and thinking of KFC … ?   

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1869
Q2) London
Q3) South Africa
Q4) 1915
Q5) Indigo
Q6) Salt
Q7) Satyagraha
Q8) Her husband’s
Q9) Indian National Congress
Q10) Soul
She might hit on the right one... Good luck!

Debbi said...

Not surprised by that either, I'm afraid! :)

1. 1869
2. London
3. India
4. 1915
5. indigo
6. salt
7. Satyagraha
8. her husband's death
9. the Indian National Congress
10. Soul