Monday 24 October 2016

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 24-10-2016

Oh, now I hate that when it happens!

I suffer with Irritable Bowel Syndrome: which, at it’s worst?   Can be both crippling and painful.

It hit, yesterday.

When I was due to do an eight hour shift at work.

A job I like … ?

And my internal organs let me down!

~≈†≈~

On top of that … ?

Yesterday was something of a sad day for comic book fans.

As it saw the death of comic book artist, Steve Dillon.

Something that left me feeling very thoughtful: the man not only was a favourite of mine, drawing a lot of strips for 2000AD, but also for Dr Who Weekly.

But ALSO died at the age of 54: only a few years older than I am.

Intimations of mortality?

You betcha!

~≈†≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with Olga scoring sis out of six, and Debbi scoring five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) Which famous, French cathedral was dedicated: on 24th October, 1260?
Q2) Whose last performance was on 24th October, 1926: Buster Keaton’s, Elvis Presley’s or Harry Houdini’s?
Q3) Ariel and Umbriel were discovered: on 24th October, 1851.   The pair are moons of where?
Q4) Many stock markets crashed: on 24th October, 2008.   The Day’s known as Bloody … what?
Q5) Finally … Roman Emperor, Domitian, was born: on 24th October, 51AD.   Which dynasty was he a member of?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 23rd October, 2012, saw the BBC close down the world’s oldest analogue teletext service: what was it called?
A1) Ceefax.
Q2) More to the point, what was ITV’s equivalent?
A2) Oracle.
Q3) 23rd October, 1956, saw thousands of people protest Soviet influence in their country.   Which country was that?
A3) Hungary.
Q4) Which war was ended by a UN ceasefire: on 23rd October, 1973?
A4) The Yom Kippur War.
Q5) 23rd October, 1942, saw the birth of businesswoman and campaigner, Anita Roddick.   What was the name of the chain of make-up shops she founded?
Q6) Finally … 23rd October, 1986, saw the birth of actress, Emilia Clarke.   Who does she play, in the TV series, Game of Thrones?
Have a observation from a noted actor …
“Nobody sees the same movie.”
Kevin Kline, born 24th October, 1947.
And a song … 


Enjoy your day.









*        It has to be said, that’s where the EU can work well: a Spanish psychiatrist who lives in the UK, watching a Swedish horror, with her friends in France!   Then Britain voted to leave!   Oy veh.   EITHER way?   I think I’m going to have to get a copy of the film: I only ever saw it once, but it made such an impression.   It sound like I’m not the only person!   (Oh, Game of Thrones is rather fun.   If you don’t mind looks of sex, violence and dragons.   And more sex and violence.   Maisie Williams, who plays Arya Stark, cropped up in the last series of Dr Who: and stole the show!)

†        I’ve got to admit, neither do I, Debbi.   Although the old song tells us ‘everything stops at three.’ I know I’ve picked up the impression there’s a lot of arguments about what to call the evening meal: upper class people had dinner time in the evening, lunch at midday, and tea around 4.   If you’re working class, the evening meal was tea-time.   Confused?   I know I am … !   (Oh, BBC 3 have started airing Class, so you know: no spoilers, I’ve still not seen it!)

1 comment:

Debbi said...

Glad it's not just me! :)

1. Chartres Cathedral
2. Harry Houdini
3. Uranus
4. Friday
5. Flavian