Sunday 23 October 2016

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 23-10-2016

Blimey … 

I was let loose, yesterday … !

I’ve started a new job, recently: as I’m sure regular readers will realise.

It’s for a company in Chelmsford: that handles the out of hours calls for various social landlords.

Well … 

Yesterday saw me me unleashed on the phones on my own.

Very nervously unleashed onto the phones, on my own … !

I think I did ok.

Once I got into the swing of it.

One thing I do know?

You know how, sometimes, a day can drag?

For me?

Yesterday seemed to be over, quite quickly.

That’s possibly the nerves talking!

~≈Ç≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring four out of five.

Here’s today’s questions: along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 23rd October, 2012, saw the BBC close down the world’s oldest analogue teletext service: what was it called?
Q2) More to the point, what was ITV’s equivalent?
Q3) 23rd October, 1956, saw thousands of people protest Soviet influence in their country.   Which country was that?
Q4) Which war was ended by a UN ceasefire: on 23rd October, 1973?
Q5) 23rd October, 1942, saw the birth of businesswoman and campaigner, Anita Roddick.   What was the name of the chain of make-up shops she founded?
Q6) Finally … 23rd October, 1986, saw the birth of actress, Emilia Clarke.   Who does she play, in the TV series, Game of Thrones?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) According to Archbishop James Ussher, God created the world on 22nd October.   Of which year: 4006 BC, 4004 BC or 4002 BC?
A1) 4004BC.   (This means the Earth’s a Libra …)
Q2) Ussher was Archbishop of where: Armagh, Ballymena or Collinstown?
A2) Armagh.
Q3) What time did Ussher think the world was created: 4pm, 5pm or 6pm?
A3) 6pm.
Q4) The Archbishop came up with his chronology, based on his readings of what: the Old Testament or the New Testament?
A4) The Old Testament.
Q5) Finally … The Book of Genesis says the Earth was created on which day of the week?
A5) Strictly speaking?   None of them.   God made the heavens and the Earth ‘In the Beginning’.
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“I’ve played my share of drunken sluts, good time girls, and whores. Being bumped off is really no novelty for me. I’ve been shot, hanged, strangled, gassed, burned to death, and even pushed off a cliff. And for a TV episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, I was sawn in half by an electrical buzz saw.”
Diana Dors, 23 October 1931 – 4 May 1984.
And this song … 


Enjoy your day: don’t work too hard!






*        It would be overkill, Olga: especially as most of the functionality’s provided by the Apple TV! :D   There’s one thing I know the Fire Stick can’t do out of the box.   I’ve got a lot of videos I’ve ripped from DVD, on an extra internal hard drive.   I’d not be able to stream them to the Fire Stick without jumping through hoops.   (Oh, Debbi and me got talking about Let the Right One In: worth watching!)


†        Personally, Debbi?   I’m blaming sub-titles and dubbing!   I think we native English speakers tend to be very bad at learning another language: which is great for the remake industry!   (It’s about teatime … depending on what you call the evening meal!)

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Ceefax
Q2) Oracle (Good name! It disappeared before I arrived in this country)
Q3Hungary
Q4) Yom Kippur War between Israel and Syria
Q5) Body Shop
Q6) Daenerys Targaryen. Never watched it so I have no idea…
Let the right one in I watched quite a few years back. My friends in Paris, well, Jean, my friend’s husband, is a big movie buff and we both like horror, so he tends to share a lot of movies with me (I haven’t had a chance to visit for ages…) . He downloads many movies and my goddaughter, quite young at the time (10 or so) really loved the movie. I haven’t watched the American version and I can’t see any point to it…

Debbi said...

Oh, is that when tea time is? I honestly don't know! :)

My espresso break is at around 2 p.m.

1. BBC Ceefax
2. Teletext
3. Hungary
4. the Yom Kippur War
5. The Body Shop
6. Daenerys Targaryen (that's a mouthful!)