Sunday 9 October 2016

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 9-10-2016

Oh, for God’s SAKE!

If it’s not one thing, it’s another!

I’m between jobs, at the moment: and due to start work on Monday.

I’m also claiming help from the relevant government: I’m claiming a benefit called ‘Universal Credit’.

Part of that … ?   Replaces an older benefit: that’s supposed to help me pay my rent.   The older benefit was administered by the local council, and went to straight to my landlord.

The newer one?   Is supposed to come straight to me, then get passed on.

And hasn’t, technically, started yet: as the Job Centre’s in the process of passing the various evidence I’ve given them on.

They had it, what … ?   Tuesday?   Wednesday?   The middle of the week, at any rate.

Yesterday?   I get a polite letter from the Department of Work and Pensions, the government department that handles these things.   (Dated 5th October: Wednesday, in other words)

Telling me I’d given them ‘Insufficient Evidence’ of my rent: that they’ve written to my landlord, and wanted me to discuss it with them!

This is, I should add, despite my given them my tenancy agreement, and a rent statement.

Before I go to work, tomorrow?

I’m going to have to get on the phone.

In all honesty, though?

What on EARTH do these departments WANT … ?

~≈¥≈~
But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five in the process.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 9th October, 1944, saw the birth of bassist John Entwhistle.   Who did he play bass for?
Q2) Which Viking gets officially marked in the US: on 9th October?
Q3) 9th October is the feast of Saint Denis.   Denis was a Catholic bishop of where: Paris, Madrid or London?
Q4) 9th October is Independence Day: in which African country?
Q5) Finally … 9th October, 1954, saw the birth of actor, Scott Bakula.    Which character does he play in NCIS: New Orleans?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 8th October was the date of what was Britain’s worse train crash: at Harrow and Wealdstone Station.   The crash was on 8th October of which year of the 1950s?
A1) 1952.
Q2) 8th October, 1895, saw the birth of King Zog 1st: of where?
A2) Albania.
Q3) 8th October 1939, saw Germany annex the western parts of where: Poland, Czechoslovakia or Russia?
A3) Poland.
Q4) 8th October, 1990, marked Britain’s first full day as a member of the ERM.   The ERM was the Exchange Rate … what?
A4) Mechanism.
Q5) Finally … 8th October is Independence Day, where: Macedonia, Croatia or Serbia?
A5) Croatia.
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“Success is fucking up on your own terms.”
Guillermo del Toro, born October 9th 1964.
And this song … 


Enjoy your day … !










*        Oh, THAT bit of news was good, Olga.   On there OTHER hand?   This past months like a game of Good News Bad News … !   At ANY rate … It’s funny you should mention Battlestar Galactica: I’ve been watching it, episode by episode, over the past few months!   It’s a Zog free zone.   On the other hand?   I grew up on 2000AD.   One strip?   Was Called Black Hawk: and feature a minor character called Zog.   (Ye GODS< I had to search, to dig up that!)

†        I know!   And what gets me, Debbi?   Is that, if it’s not one thing … ?   Then it’s another!

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) The Who
Q2) Leif Erikson
Q3) Paris
Q4) Uganda
Q5) Special Agent Dwayne Cassius "King" Pride
Yes, communication is never a high priority anywhere. You would imagine there should be a system to log what somebody was doing so that others dealing with the same issue would know... Utopia is my name. Hopefully, it will get sorted. I had a funny incident with the Spanish Consulate, where I kept exchanging e-mails with them and they were telling me they couldn't send me a document I needed by post, and then I received it by post... But they still sent me some more e-mails offering to make an appointment so I could go to London. I thanked them and decided not to get into trouble the person who evidently felt able to sent it by post and save me the trip. Bless him or her!
As much as I like the song 'Things can only get better...' I'm afraid the writer was too optimistic. ;)

angelfrmcanada said...

1. The Who
2. Leif Erikson
3. Paris
4. Uganda
5. Dwayne Pride

It sounds like that agency wants you to do THEIR job. Congrats on your new job! Good luck on your first day tomorrow.

Debbi said...

I feel your pain, Paul! Really!

1. The Who
2. Leif Erikson
3. Paris
4. Uganda
5. Dwayne Cassius Pride (three fricking names -- really? :))