Saturday 22 October 2016

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 22-10-2016: The World According to Ussher

You know, I’ve done dafter things.

Really.

That things I’m not going to talk about, here, but daft, nonetheless.

One of the (possibly) less daft things?

Is getting up at four in the morning to write a blog post.

But there you go.

That’s what happens when you have to be at work at eight: you have to be up early, to catch the train … !

~≈Ê≈~
But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: scoring five out of five in the process.   The day also saw Angel† dropping pin to say ‘Hello.’

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s themed questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) According to Archbishop James Ussher, God created the world on 22nd October.   Of which year: 4006 BC, 4004 BC or 4002 BC?
Q2) Ussher was Archbishop of where: Armagh, Ballymena or Collinstown?
Q3) What time did Ussher think the world was created: 4pm, 5pm or 6pm?
Q4) The Archbishop came up with his chronology, based on his readings of what: the Old Testament or the New Testament?
Q5) Finally … The Book of Genesis says the Earth was created on which day of the week?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) The Metre was redefined, on the 21st October, 1983: at the General Conference on Weights and Measures.   It was defined as being the distance travelled in 1/299,792,458th of a what: second, minute or hour?
A1) Second.
Q2) The distance travelled by what?
A2) Light.
Q3) Up until then, the metre had been defined as 1, 650, 763.73 wavelengths of the emission spectrum of an atom of which gas: Argon, Krypton or Xenon?
A3) Krypton.
Q4) That definition replaced the original one.   The original defined the metre as 1/10, 000, 000th of the distance from the Equator: to where?
A4) The North Pole.
Q5) Which lower case letter is usually used as the symbol for the metre?
A5) m.   (An upper case M is used for ‘Mega’: in other words, it’s used to show a thousand of something, whether that’s metres, grams, or bytes.)
Q6) Spell ‘metre’ … in American English.
A6) Meter.
Q7) What DOES a metre measure: length, time or speed?
A7) Length.
Q8) What name is given to 1/1000th of a metre: one decimetre, centimetre or millimetre?
Q9) One measure of liquid is defined as 1/1000th of a cubic metre.   What name is given to that measure: a pint, litre or fathom?
A9) A litre.
Q10) Finally … How many metres are there, in a kilometre?
A10) 1000.
I’ll leave you with this quote …
“In the Beginning It was a nice day.”
Good Omens, Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.
And this video … 


Enjoy your day … 






*        It’s seriously worth a watch, Debbi.   (I know there’s a US remake, called Let Me In: I don’t know if it’s any good, though.)

†        I might just give it some thought, Angel.   On the other hand?   I know my Mum’s with Talk Talk: and their router’s just as bad.   (I’ve noticed movies drop … when I’m streaming them from my Mac, to my Apple TV.   I don’t think the problem’s with the in-coming signal: I think it’s the way both routers handle the Wi-fi signal.)

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 4004 (I guess happy birthday world, then)
Q2) Armagh
Q3) 6pm
Q4) Old Testament
Q5) First? (I guess it depends how you define creation, if it’s the finished product…) In the beginning it says… whatever… As to what day of the week, it seems to depend on which calendar you follow.
Sorry, not sure I’ll be around very much these days, between having to finish something for mid next week, having to go to several places next week and then going back to Spain on Sunday, but I’ll come buy if I can.
Take care!
I've missed part of the conversation about the movies thing. The way I streamed to the TV stopped working because they didn't update the App any longer. Now I have one of these Fire Stick things from Amazon that works very well, but I don't think it would work for you (although it has Netflix and quite a few apps for TV channels, etc). You might want to have a look, but I don't think you want even more gadgets, especially if you already have the Apple TV...

Debbi said...

Funny how U.S. remakes usually kind of suck! :)

1. 4004 BC
2. Armagh
3. 6 p.m. (after tea time? :))
4. the Old Testament
5. Tuesday -- the second day of the week (best I can figure!)