Saturday, 8 October 2016

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 8-10-2016

Well, THAT’S a relief!

I’m job-hunting … No, I’m between jobs at the moment.

And was having a bit of an issue, yesterday.

I start a new job on Monday.

And was having trouble finding funding for a first weekly season ticket.

At least, getting the funding from the Department of Work and Pensions’ Universal Credit line.

Thankfully … ?

Thankfully, my local Job Centre were able to access the Flexible Support Fund: to help me buy the ticket I need.

I think I’ve only got one to to say.

Phew … !

~≈¥≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring ten out of ten.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 8th October was the date of what was Britain’s worse train crash: at Harrow and Wealdstone Station.   The crash was on 8th October of which year of the 1950s?
Q2) 8th October, 1895, saw the birth of King Zog 1st: of where?
Q3) 8th October 1939, saw Germany annex the western parts of where: Poland, Czechoslovakia or Russia?
Q4) 8th October, 1990, marked Britain’s first full day as a member of the ERM.   The ERM was the Exchange Rate … what?
Q5) Finally … 8th October is Independence Day, where: Macedonia, Croatia or Serbia?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) Today is the 7th October.   Is seven a prime number?
A1) Yes.   (In other words, it — like 1, 2, 3, 5, 11, 13 and many others — can only be be divided be itself or one, in order to get a whole number as a result.)
Q2) What name is given to a seven-sided, two dimensional, shape: a septagon, septuagint or heptagon?
A2) A Heptagon.
Q3) A polyhedron is a three dimensional object.   What name is given to a seven sided polyhedron?   (One with seven faces, in other words.)
Q4) Numbers written in base 7 will have no digit higher than the number six, as there’s only seven digits used in it: going from 0 to 6.   Base seven is also known as what: quinary, senary or septenary?
A4) Septenary.
Q5) More to the point, how does one represent ‘7’ in base 7?
A5) 10.
Q6) How is seven written: in Roman numerals?
A6) VII: or, in lower case, vii.
Q7) The opening credits for TV show, The Prisoner, show us Patrick McGoohan, driving what model of car: an Austin Seven, a Lotus Seven or a BMW Series Seven?
A7) A Lotus Seven.   (Ironically, McGoohan’s character was only ever known as Number 6 …)
Q8) Who, currently, is playing 007, at the movies?
A8) Current James Bond star, Daniel Craig.
Q9) Disney film, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, has seven dwarves: Doc, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, Bashful and Sneezy.   Who’s the seventh dwarf?
A9) Dopey.
Q10) Finally … who, in 1992, released a song called 7?
A10) Prince.
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“I think there’s a huge category of people who will watch movies on laptops.”
Reed Hastings, founder of Netflix, born 8th October, 1960.
And this song … 


Have a good day … 






*        Thankfully, Olga, the Job Centre managed to dig up something for me.   But, ye gods, that’s not a morning I want to go through again … !   

†        Well, I’ve wangled something, Debbi.   But, my word, you can have a heck of job, starting a job!

2 comments:

  1. Q1) 1952
    Q2 Albania (he sounds like a character from Battlestar Galactica…)
    Q3) Poland
    Q4) Mechanism
    Q5) Croatia
    Good news! And good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ain't that the truth? :)

    1. 1952
    2. Albania
    3. Poland
    4. Mechanism
    5. Croatia

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.