Sunday 16 September 2018

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 16th September, 2018

16th September, 2018.


OK, I think … 

No, I know … !

I’m getting too old for this sort of early morning.

Frankly?

I could do with … well, maybe being ten years younger.

Although, saying that … ?

I didn’t have a web cam on the computer.

You’re possibly thankful.

~≈§≈~

Did I mention I’m not especially religious?

Although I will admit to happily praying, when appropriate.   Making the assumption that someone’s listening, and — if nothing else — can just nod sympathetically, is something I often find helpful.

A vaguely religious piece of news has got me thinking, though.

You’ve possibly heard of Wonga: the loan company famous for loaning to anyone at high interest rates, regardless of whether they could afford the loan.

The company recently collapsed.

And, inevitably, there’s been all sorts of speculation about what will happen to it.

Including this piece.

It seems a senior member of the Labour Party has suggested the Church of England buy out the company’s loan book: in order to prevent further potentially exploitation of those debtors.

Personally?

I think it’s a nice idea.

Think it’s a nice idea.

I’m not necessarily convinced it’s a good idea.

I’m no economist, no theologian.

But I know that the Vatican has also had problems with the Institutum pro Operibus Religionis, the Institute for Religious Works.

The Vatican’s bank has been surrounded by controversy for many years, with a series of investments that don’t match it’s principles: and a series of Mafia-linked customers.

That’s one reason for not liking the idea.

The other?

Passages in all four Gospels of the Bible — Matthew 21:12-17, Mark 11:15-19, Luke 19:45-48 and John 2:13-16 — tell us how Jesus kicked the moneychangers and assorted others out of the temple.

Personally, I’m looking at the possible Wonga deal, and asking “What would Jesus do*?”

I think he’d avoid it like the plague.

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) Cape Verde joined the UN: on 16th September, 1975.   Which European language is the chain’s official language?
Q2) What’s the capital of Cape Verde?
Q3) 16th September saw the signing of the Montreal Protocol.   What was it designed to protect: the Great Barrier Reef, the Ozone Layer or the oceans?
Q4) At least 177 people were killed in a fire: when it broke out in the Kinross gold mine on 16th September, 1986.   Mine and fire were in which country?
Q5) 16th September, 1992, saw the UK leave what: the UN, EU or ERM?
Q6) Finally … 16th September, 1927, saw the birth of the actor who played Columbo.   Who was he?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) The HMS Whiting ran aground on the Doom Bar: on 15th September, 1816.   The Doom Bar is a sand bar off the coast of where: Cornwall, Devon or Somerset?
A1) Cornwall.
Q2) Astrid Proll was arrested in the UK: on 15th September, 1978.   She was a member of which militant group?
A2) The Baader-Meinhof Gang: also as the Red Army Faction.
Q3) The Cassini mission ended: on 15th September, 2017.   Which planet was it studying?
A3) Saturn.
Q4) During the Korean War, 15th September, 1950, saw UN forces land at which Korean port: Pohang, Daipori or Inchon?
A4) Inchon.
Q5) Finally … Muhammed Ali beat Leon Spinks: on 15th September, 1978.   In which US city?
Here’s a thought …
“Everybody wants to go to Heaven, but no one wants to die to get there!”
B. B. King, September 16, 1925 – May 14, 2015.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        I’ve also attended Alcoholics Anonymous meetings: finding them very helpful.   From what I’ve understood?   The group makes sure it doesn’t get involved in matters outside helping people into recovery.   Anything outside that is seen as too controversial, is seen as likely to hinder its central mission.   My instinct is to compare AA and the CoE: and think the Church could learn from AA.

†        It was rather eye-catching, wasn’t it, Olga?   So’s the story: a police procedural with a telepathic policeman, and the ruthless businessman he’s trying to catch.   (The killer manages to hide his thoughts from telepaths … ?   By using an old advertising jingle as an earworm.   Years before the term ‘earworm’ existed.)

‡        I know what you mean, Debbi: I know I always do.   You know we all do contagious yawning? I’ll yawn if you yawn, you’ll yawn if Olga yawns, and Olga will have yawned … after see me yawn in the intro video.   Apparently, people with Autism and schizophrenia don’t do contagious yawning^.

^        I can still remember reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, the book Bladerunner is based on, many years ago.   As I recall?   In the book, the test the character’s use, to track down replicants?   Can’t tell the difference between a replicant and a schizophrenic.

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Portuguese
Q2) Praia
Q3) The Ozone Layer
Q4) South Afrca
Q5) The ERM?
Q6) Peter Falk
Thanks for the info in the book. It seems like a great idea. It's been years since I read Philip K. Dick's book so I don't remember exactly... And I've looked after so many schizophrenic patients but never noticed. They definitely yawn (some medications can make them quite sleepy) but I haven't observed if there was contagious yawning going on or not... (I can't remember ever reading about it either. It's definitely not included as a diagnostic sign, that's for sure!)

Debbi said...

I saw the movie "Blade Runner", but have yet to read the book.

1. Portuguese
2. Praia
3. the Ozone Layer
4. South Africa
5. ERM
6. Peter Falk