Saturday 29 September 2018

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 29th September, 2018: Well Met By Midnight.

29th September, 2018.


Yep.

I’ve got Mojave installed on my iMac: as I’m sure you’re possible aware, by now.

And have to admit, the overall speed things is nice: I think that’s a result of more apps having been re-written as 64 bit.

But, me being me … ?

I’m caught by the eye-candy.

I’ve managed to change all the highlights to a subtle shade of green.


I’m easily impressed.

~≈§≈~

Just as a quick thought … ?

Do you use Facebook?

I do: as do many people I know.

It’s helpful, sometimes: especially the messaging app.

However?

It seems there’s been a security breach.

I’m not sure I completely understand the technical side.

But I was one of those who had to log back in, yesterday.

As soon as I’ve time?

I’ll need to change my password … 

~≈§≈~

One LAST thing … ?

Tomorrow’s sees Nik Nak’s Old Peculiar’s tenth birthday.

Yes: there’s a teaser about it.

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 


Q1) Britain’s Metropolitan police were founded: on 29th September of which year of the 1820s?
Q2) Which city of the UK does the Met work in … ?
Q3) Famously, the Met doesn’t work in which City?
Q4) Met police officers are known as bobies, and peelers: after the force’s historical founder.   Who was that founder?
Q5) Finally … ?   Who’s the current leader — or Commissioner — of the Met?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) The first European country to emancipate its Jewish citizens, did so on 28th September, 1791.   Which country was it?
A1) France.
Q2) The Ulster Covenant was signed on 28th September, 1912.   It was signed by Ulster Protestants who opposed what: abortions, woman’s suffrage or Home Rule?
A2) Home Rule.   Specifically, the Third Irish home Rule Bill.   (According an old episode of Who Do You Think You Are?, an ancestor of David Tennant was one of those signatories.)
Q3) 28th September, 1939, saw Soviet Russia and Nazi Germany agree to split where, at the end of the war?
A3) Poland.
Q4) 28th September, 1985, saw riots where: Brixton, Canning Town or Dollis Hill?
A4) Brixton.
Q5) Finally … ?   The UK’s parliament passed the Misuse of Drugs Act, 1971.   Accoring to that act Cannabis is class what drug?
A5) Class B.
Here’s a observation …
“I’ve tried to find out if you can get dogs to search for knives, but they told me it was impossible. You can do it for guns but not for knives. We have tried.”
Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe, former Met Commissioner.
And a promotional video …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.






*        I think I’m going to have to see how the job goes, Olga‡: although being laid off looks like a better option than the sack, or giving notice.   It’s not helping my mood.   I hope the editing meeting went well: with your voice … ?   Well … !   (I hope they’re using Macs to do the audio … !   Sorry! :D I’m REALLY enjoying Mojave … !)

†        Well … The BBC America site’s got a large countdown, Debbi‡: I know THAT much!   There’s a Channel Finder, too, so that should give you times and dates.   (I think the opening episode’s on at 1:45, in one given US timezone.)

‡        Debbi, Olga, I hope you don’t mind, but I’ve started embedding the video playlist for the day.   It seems the right thing to do … 

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1829 (I studied this in Criminology although I did not remember the exact date).
Q2) London (Greater London)
Q3) The City of London
Q4) Robert Peel
Q5) Cressida Dick
Happy anniversary!
I survived the editing process. Macs? This is a local radio station running thanks to volunteers. Their version of Word still uses .doc, so you can imagine what kinds of computers they rely on (desk computers probably prehistorical in computer terms. (To be honest, I used it a few times but didn't notice what it was. A Mac not, for sure). If they want to donate any equipment, I'm sure the station would be delighted, but I've never heard that Apple is that way inclined.
Good luck and keep me posted in the work front.

Debbi said...

I've actually heard both the terms "bobbies" and "peelers" before, but didn't know their origin until now. Interesting! :)

1. 1929
2. Greater London
3. City of London
4. Robert Peel
5. Cressida Dick

In old movies, I've heard private eyes referred to as "private dicks". I assume Cressida wasn't chosen for the job because of her name. :)

Debbi said...

By the way, happy 10th blogiversary! :) Impressive!