Tuesday 18 September 2018

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 18th September, 2018.

18th September, 2018.


Yep: I’ve got a regret, again.

I would love a TV, with a bigger screen.

Especially when you consider I watched Solo: A Star Wars Story, last night.

Amazing stuff, I should add.

But … ?

The only regret I have about it?

Is my TV screen’s a bit too small!

It, and the rest of the recent Star Wars entries really do deserve a big screen!

~≈§≈~

I’ve also got to confess: I’m slightly jealous.

Of Japanese businessman, Yusaku Maezawa.

He’s been announced as one of SpaceX’s first Moon tourists.

I don’t know about you, but I’d love to be in Maezawa-san’s shoes!

Cash, hey … ?

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring ten out of ten.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) Refugees arrived in the UK, on 18th September, 1972.   From which country?
Q2) 18th September, 1837, saw the opening of what’s now Tiffany & Co.   It’s flagship store is on Fifth Avenue: in which US city?
Q3) Henry D. Washburn discovered a geyser: on 18th September, 1870.   What did he call it?
Q4) 18th September, 1618, saw the start of the 12th Baktun: a period in the Mesoamerican Long Count Calendar.    A Baktun is how many days long?
Q5) The first Hanoverian King of Great Britain arrived in the country: on 18th September, 1618.   Which king WAS it?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) The US Constitution was signed on 17th September: in which year?
A1) 1787.
Q2) It was signed in which US city?
Q3) According to the Constitution’s Preamble, the US Constitution is supposed to  secure the blessing of what?
A3) Liberty.
Q4) The Constitution established the US legislative branch.   What’s branch called?
A4) Congress.
Q5) Name either house of that legislative branch.
Q6) It ALSO defines the Executive of the USA.   Which office IS that Executive?
A6) The US President.
Q7) That executive is also commander in chief of the US what: Treasury, Armed Forces or Legislature?
Q8) Which Article of the Constitution defines the Judicial Branch?
A8) Article 3.
Q9) What’s the highest court in the US?
A9) The Supreme Court.
Q10) Finally … how many ratified Amendments to the Constitution are there: thirty-one, thirty-three or thirty-five?
Here’s a thought …
“I am bewildered by the thousands of strange people who write me letters. They do not know me. Why do they do that?”
Greta Garbo, 18 September 1905 – 15 April 1990.
And songs co-written by Dee Dee Ramone …






Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.






*        Now that’s a new one on me, Olga: faked degrees!   I think the biggest problems the UK had with that level of education were language schools that were visa fiddles: there was a scandal about whether the schools were properly accredited.   Blimey: there’s something I never had the cash for, good old fashioned property speculation!   It’s a good earner.   At work, we organise the emergency repairs for social landlords: a lot of councils have a certain amount of properties they rent from private landlords, like yourself, and then rent out to they tenants.   From the little I see, our engineers are obliged to visit them: but they have to fill in a different set of paperwork for these visits, so the cost can be passed to the private landlord.   Don’t quote me on that, though!


†        I figured it would be playing to your strengths, Debbi.   I was thinking it’s the USA’s best known legal document, I wonder who’s going to have an easy time of it … ?   Oh, thinks for The link: I’ve added it to the relevant bit of my spreadsheet … 

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Uganda
Q2) New York
Q3) Old Faithful Geyser (not much in the imagination department)
Q4) 144,000 days
Q5) George I (I’m sure I’ve read he arrived in 1714 not 1618)
Thanks, Paul. No, I’m not well off, especially as I left my job a few years back to try my hand at books and other things, and for family reasons and because translations and books are hard to sell, I’ve been living of my savings. I sold the house in the UK and I wanted to invest that on something, because banks don’t give you anything (they charge you for their service rather than the other way round). Unfortunately, since Brexit was announced, the pound has gone down a lot, and I ended up with only half of the amount of euros my house would have been worth if I had sold it before (and, of course, I bought it when the prices were up and then they went down, so I just about broke even, that is without taking into account the money I spent on the house). There are similar schemes in Barcelona, where you can sign up your flat with the town hall and they look after things, including reduced taxes, insurance (as there are many cases of squatting here and people who stop paying the rent, so you need to pay an insurance to prevent that) but I could not afford an apartment in Barcelona and ended up buying a small flat in L’Hospitalet de Llobregat, that is very nearby (next door, same underground and good connections) but a bit cheaper. I have an agent to deal with it, and she is very good and knows the area and the market. It won’t be a fortune, but it is a way of ensuring the money is put to some use, and it is not a bad flat, especially after the renovation.
So you recommend Solo? I heard mixed things about it. I’ll have to try and catch up.
All the best.

Debbi said...

Sure thing, Paul. Thank you! :)

1. Uganda
2. New York City
3. Old Faithful
4. 144,000
5. George I