Thursday 14 November 2019

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 14-11-2019: Moby Dick

14th November, 2019.


Yes: it’s a potentially quiet day, today.

Depending on whether I’m needed to look after my nephew.   He get’s loud, bless him!

At any rate … ?

It’s going to be a quiet day of job hunting: checking emails, and the various job boards.

If nothing else?

I can happily report I had a phone interview, yesterday*: and another, tomorrow.

I’m hoping for one thing: that they bag me a job.

~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga†, and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 14th November saw the original publication of Moby Dick.   In which year of the 1850s?
Q2) Who wrote Moby Dick?
Q3) In the book’s opening line, the narrator introduces himself: by saying “Call me … ” … what?
Q4) The book’s main character was Captain … who?
Q5) That main character has a false … what?
Q6) Moby Dick, itself, is an albino whale.   What species of whale: sperm whale, fin whale or  blue whale?
Q7) Moby Dick is set on a whaling ship called the … what?
Q8) That whaling ship is based at which Massachusetts island?
Q9) Who directed the 1956, film version of Moby Dick?
Q10) Finally … ?   Who’s the only surviving main character of Moby Dick?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 13th November, AD354, saw the birth of Augustine of Hippo.   Hippo, the town he died in, is in what’a now which North African country?
A1) Algeria.
Q2) 13th August, 1896, saw the eruption of Mount Tongariro.   Mount Tongariro is in which country?
A2) New Zealand.   (On North Island, so you know.)
Q3) 13th November, 2015, saw a series of co-ordinated terror attacks: in Paris.   Which Parisian rock venue was attacked, during the raid … ?
A3) The Bataclan theatre.
Q4) 13th November, 1929, saw the birth of Fred Phelps: the notorious founder of which hate-based church?
Q5) Finally … ?   13th November, 1922, saw the birth of actor, Oskar Werner.   In which film did he play Guy Montag?
Here’s a thought …
“… to the last I grapple with thee; from hell’s heart I stab at thee; for hate’s sake I spit my last breath at thee.”
From Chapter 135 of Moby Dick.
And a cantata …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        Funnily?   In Chelmsford: nears the station, if I’ve understood things, correctly.   If it’s where I think it is, it’s not far to walk.

†        I’m keeping my fingers crossed on the job front, Olga.   I think I know where the Chelmsford one is.   And the other one is in the local branch of Vodafone.   And cheers for the update!   It looks like Julián will be brought back in: assuming Google Translate’s not mangled that website.   Actually, I’d love to see how that manage to write Rodolfo Sancho in: they killed in season three!

‡        It’s a pain in the proverbial, I know that much, Debbi!   That’s a thought, have you seen this … ?

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1851
Q2) Herman Melville
Q3) Ishmael
Q4) Ahab
Q5) leg
Q6) A sperm whale
Q7) Pequod
Q8) Nantucket
Q9) John Huston
Q10) Ishmael (although, hey, Moby Dick survives as well!)
Moby Dick is one of my favourite novels and I’ve studied it and written about it quite a few times when I studied American Literature. It’s a strange book, but wonderful nonetheless, and I love Melville. I recommend ‘Bartleby the Scrivener’ often, a truly modern and puzzling story.
I’m sure the writers will come up with something interesting on the Ministerio front…

Debbi said...

I noticed it on Twitter. We'll have to wait and see what that's all about, huh? :)

1. 1851
2. Herman Melville
3. Ishmael
4. Ahab
5. leg
6. sperm whale
7. the Pequod
8. Nantucket
9. John Huston
10. Ishmael

I was told by someone on Twitter that I did a good job reading with a Cockney accent a short piece from a story written by a British author in one of my book review videos. I'm ... chuffed, I think. :)