Monday 14 March 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 14th March, 2022.

14th March, 2022.


Right: it’s a Monday.

And, frankly?

I’ve got to be in Chelmsford for a face to face meeting with my Restart adviser.

I’m … well, let’s put it this way, I have mixed feelings about these schemes.

I find them unhelpful.

Granted, it gets me out of the flat: but for very little purpose.

Beyond complaining about one application, a few weeks ago.

We’ll have to see how the day goes.

~≈fl≈~

I’ve possibly mention I’m a Mac fan, haven’t I … ?

So I was fascinated to see the new Mac Studio: that the company releases on Friday.

I even watched the relevant part of the Peek Preview event, yesterday.

About the only thing I have concerns about is the fans on the thing

From what I saw of the event, the Studio is a completely enclosed unit: that can’t — unlike the 2007 Mac mini I had — be opened up.

I found that useful on the mini: so long as you were careful, it was a very good way of cleaning out dust.

You don’t seem to be able to do the same, on the Studio: it doesn’t seem to be as accessible.

That could be a bad thing.

~≈fl≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum*, Olga†, Debbi‡ and putting in their answers: with everyone scoring five out of five.


Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        14th March is what day: eta day, beta day or pi day?

Q2)        14th March is 1 Chet.   In other words, it’s New Year’s day to whom: Jews, Hindus or Sikhs?

Q3)        Mike Lazaridis was born on 14th March, 1961.   He’s the man who founded the company that makes what: the iPhone, the BlackBerry or the Galaxy Four?

Q4)        Albert Einstein was born on 14th March, 1879.   He received a Nobel Prize in Physics, in 1921.   For his paper about what: Special Relativity, General Relativity, Brownian motion or the photoelectric effect?

Q5)        Finally … ?   The US Gold Standard Act was approved on 14th March, 1900.   It valued the dollar at approximately how much gold: 1.5 grams, 2.5 grams or 3.5 grams?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        L. Ron Hubbard was born on 13th March, 1911.   He founded which religion: the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Scientology or the Hare Krishna movement?
A1)        Scientology.

Q2)        13th March sees Thailand celebrate National what Day: National Elephant Day, National Rhinoceros Day or National Snake Day?
A2)        National Elephant Day.

Q3)        13th March is the feast day of Saint Gerald of Mayo.   Where is County Mayo: England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales?
A3)        Ireland.

Q4)        The Siege of Khartoum started on 13th March, 1884.   It finished on 24th January, 1885. Khartoum is in which African nation: Egypt, Sudan or Ethiopia?
A4)        Sudan.

Q5)        Finally … ?   Sister Maria Nirmala Joshi was named as leader of the Sisters of Charity: on 13th March, 1997.   Who did she replace: Sister Wendy Becket, Mother Teresa or Sister Jude?
A5)        Mother Teresa.
Here’s a thought … 
“I couldn’t type on it and I still can’t type on it, and a lot of my friends can’t type on it.   It’s hard to type on a piece of glass.”
Mike Lazaridis, born on 14th March, 1961.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.





*        Hello, Mum!

        I am trying to keep off the chocolate, Olga.   But it’s the one thing I’m finding hard work.   It’s not like smoking or drinking, where there’s various types of help: at the surgery level, if nothing else.   It’s frustrating, I know that!   People talk about being chocoholics, but … 

        Glad to be of help, Debbi!   (Oh, re UK sci-fi: the Wikipedia entry on British SF TV reminds that the first piece of science fiction shown on the BBC was a version of Rossum’s Universal Robots, back in the 1930s)

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Pi day

Q2) Sikhs

Q3) The Blackberry

Q4) The photoelectric effect (Not what most of us think about)

Q5) 1.5 grams
I hope the meeting today is less frustrating than you imagine, but I know about your misgivings.
On the chocolate front, there is chocolate and chocolate, and there are healthier options, but some people find it more difficult to reduce consumption than to stop altogether. (My father didn't eat it often, but couldn't stop once he got going).
Stay well (we have very high winds today, so an anchor would prove useful, although I'm teaching, so I'm carrying a fair amount of books around).

Freda said...

1 pi day
2 Hindi
3 Blackberry
4 photoelectric effect
5 2.5 grams

Debbi said...

I remember that title.

1. pi day
2. Sikhs
3. the BlackBerry
4. the photoelectric effect
5. 1.5 grams

Happy Pi Day! :)

Don't miss my review of Doctor Who: A History! :) I'll try to remember to tag you and the Who Gang! :)