Saturday, 5 March 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 5th March, 2022.

5th March, 2022.


Yes: it’s officially official.

I woke up to an earworm.

Fleetwood Mac’s Tusk.


If I’m going to have the dratted thing banging around my head, I’m going to spread the proverbial joy … 

~≈Ÿ≈~

Your following the news about Russia’s invasion of the Ukraine, aren’t you?

Me being me, I’ve got half an eye on the technology front.

Apple’s stopped selling services in Russia: alongside other company.

Yesterday?

Besides telling providing extra cyber-security services to Ukraine, Microsoft stopped selling products and services to Russia, yesterday.

I don’t know for sure: but I imagine that one of the products they’ll stop selling, will be the various versions of Windows available.

I imagine that won’t slow Russia down, for now: although it could make it easier for Western cyber-security agencies to to attack older, unpatched, versions of the OS that Russia’s armed forces are using.

We’ll have to see about that.

I also think the Russian people could start shopping around for Russian made Linux distributions.

I can’t see the Russian people not being able to deal with a Microsoft boycott.

I can’t see the Russian government not being able to deal with a Microsoft boycott.

Hmmm … 

Did you ever hear of an experiment OS called ReactOS?

It’s still at the very experimental Alpha stage of development: but is supposed to be a drop in replacement for Windows.   You can, in theory, install it on a machine, and still use your Windows apps.

Russia’s taken an interest in it, according to some reports.

I’m no IT expert … 

But wouldn’t be surprised if the Russian government can get around the Microsoft boycott, using ReactOS.

~≈Ÿ≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring ten out of ten, and Mum on seven.

The day also saw Trevor^ leaving us a message!


Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        5th March is Learn from Lei Feng Day.   Where: China, Japan or North Korea?

Q2)        5th March is Saint Piran’s Day.   Saint Piran is the patron saint of whom: tin miners, coal miners or gold miners?

Q3)        Elisabeth Moore was born on 5th March, 1876.   She played what: tennis, badminton or squash?

Q4)        On the Revolution of Heavenly Spheres was banned by the Roman Catholic Church: on 5th March, 1616.   Who wrote the book: Isaac Newton, Nicolaus Copernicus or Albert Einstein?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Pope Francis stated a Papal visit: on 5th March, 2021. To where: Iran, Iraq or Israel?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        Vermont joined the USA: on the 4th March.   4th March of which year: 1791, 1792 or 1793?
A1)        1791.

Q2)        It was which state to do so: the 14th, 15th or 16th?
A2)        The 14th.

Q3)        What’s Vermont’s capital: Montpelier, Winooski or Saint Albans?
A3)        Montpelier.

Q4)        What’s Vermont’s largest city by population: Burlington, Rutland or Montpelier?
A4)        Burlington.

Q5)        Vermont fought on which side, in the US Civil War: Union or Confederate?
A5)        Union.

Q6)        In 2019, Vermont was the USA’s leading producer of what: cheddar, maple syrup or fiddleheads?
A6)        Maple syrup.

Q7)        Brigham Young was born in Vermont.   He was a leader of whom: the Mormons, Scientologists or Hare Krishnas?
A7)        Mormons.

Q8)        Bill W. was born in Vermont.   He was one of the co-founders of what: Alcoholics Anonymous, the YMCA or National Hockey League?
A8)        Alcoholics Anonymous or AA.

Q9)        Dr Bob Smith was born in Vermont.   He was one of the co-founders of what: Alcoholics Anonymous, the YMCA or National Hockey League?
A9)        Alcoholics Anonymous or AA.

Q10)        Finally … ?   Which English writer lived in Brattleboro, Vermont: Ian Fleming, Rudyard Kipling or Iain M. Banks?
A10)        Rudyard Kipling.   (Iain M. Banks was Scottish.)
Here’s a thought … 
“I didn’t enjoy acting particularly, when I was young.   I thought it was a lot of work.”
Dean Stockwell, March 5, 1936 – November 7, 2021.
And a song that, in retrospect, seems appropriate …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        Cheers, Olga: it went well enough!   And, yes, he did.   Hopefully, he’ll start making shorter videos: that’ll possibly help his watch times.
        I think the world’s a better placed: for not being owned by Venezuelan petrol companies!

        Hello, Mum!   (Iain M. Banks is Scottish!)

        I’ll keep my eyes peeled, Debbi!   (And cheers!)

^        Cheers, Trevor!   Happy birthday, on yours!

3 comments:

  1. 1 China
    2 Tin miners.
    3 Tennis
    4 Copernicus
    5 Iraq

    ReplyDelete
  2. Q1) China

    Q2) Tin miners

    Q3) Tennis

    Q4) Nicolaus Copernicus

    Q5) Iraq
    Good news then, and I'm pleased your birthday went OK. I was covering a Playmobil fair today for the radio, and also a Cooperative project for building new housing, so it was a pretty busy morning.
    I know very little about the ins and outs of the IT system in general, but I've also read that Russia has a lot of interest and has been building on alternative systems rather than using Microsoft options.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just watched a great mini-series of sorts. Diana Rigg was truly a badass. :)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g3iuSESdo4

    1. China
    2. tin miners
    3. tennis
    4. Nicolaus Copernicus
    5. Iraq

    Note: Not one single line of dialogue needed! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.