Wednesday 16 February 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 16-2-2022: Iain Banks

16th January, 2022.


Yes: I’m expecting a phone call, this morning.

From my physiotherapist.

I’m — sort of — looking forward to it.

There’s one set of exercises I really don’t like!

~≈Á≈~

Then, this afternoon … ?

I’ve got a face to face meeting with my Restart case worker: in Chelmsford.

I’m not looking forward to the trip: but at least have the ticket.

I picked it up from Brentwood station, yesterday.

That, despite my doubts about the process, went through OK.

They bought and paid for it, and emailed me a reference number: I fed that into the ticket machine, at my end, put my bank card in … and shoved the ticket in my wallet.

That bit went well.

I’m just not sure how well the meeting will go.

~≈Á≈~

You’ll have realised I’m not working, by now.

I, like others in my shoes?

Am on Universal Credit: the bog standard unemployment benefit, here in the UK.

For many years, though?

There’s been discussion of what’s called a Basic Income, or Universal Basic income.

A set amount payed to everyone, and enough to live on.

I’m not necessary sure I understand it: nor, necessarily approve of it.   I think there’s flaws, in other words.

Today?

The Welsh government’s announced it’s starting a pilot scheme.

Care leavers in Wales will be given £1, 600 per month: taxed.

And will affect people’s eligibility for benefits.

That’s worries me, some-what.

If you’re on Universal Credit, there’s a wealth of other benefits you can claim.

Not least, free prescriptions, glasses and dental care: up to a certain amount, any way.

What concerns me?   Anyone on this scheme won’t be able to claim those: if it means they can’t claim benefits.

We’ll have to see what happens, I think.

~≈Á≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on three.



Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        16th February saw the birth of writer, Iain Banks.   In which year of the 1950s?

Q2)        His first novel, The Wasp Factory, was published in which year of the 1980s?

Q3)        He published mainstream novels as Iain Banks.   He published science-fiction novels as what: Iain N. Banks, Iain M. Banks or Iain O. Banks?

Q4)        Many of his science fiction novels were set in the same background universe.   What background universe: the Federation, Confederacy or Culture?

Q5)        Finally … ?   The last book published during his life was called The Hydrogen Sonata.   His last book was published posthumously, and called what: The Quarry, The Prey or The Fallen?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        The last European country to adopt the Gregorian Calendar, did so on 15th February of which year: 1922, 1923 or 1924?
A1)        1923.

Q2)        Which country was it: Albania, Greece or Croatia?
A2)        Greece.

Q3)        Saudi Arabia adopted it when: 2012, 2016 or 2020?
A3)        2016.

Q4)        The calendar was devised by Gregory 13th.   Gregory was a what: King, Pope or Dalai Lama?
A4)        Pope.

Q5)        Finally … ?   In the Gregorian Calendar, leap years are divisible by four.   Or what: two hundred, three hundred or four hundred?
A5)        Four hundred.
Here’s a thought … 
“Beauty is something that disappears when you try to define it.”
‘State of The Art,’ Iain Banks.
And an interview …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.



*        Oh, I know I’ve used the occasional question about it, Olga: my question collection’s got one or two in there.   But it’s seems to be the first time I’ve done a specific set!   Heigh ho!
        Yes: I’d say you’re famous.   :D   I’m just a noted local personality!

        Hello, Mum!

        :D   At ANY rate, Debbi … did I mention a New Adventures story called The Also People?   The author happily admits that the setting fell off the back of a lorry … driven by a well known Scottish writer … 

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1954

Q2) 1984

Q3) Iain M. Banks

Q4) Culture

Q5) The Quarry
I hope the phone call and the meeting both go well. I am having a class with Anna this afternoon (fingers crossed!), so I'll see what she's been up to.
There are certain things that politicians shouldn't keep poking about and changing every five minutes, because they create a lot of havoc. Education, for one, health, and Welfare and the benefits... I think a long(ish) term plan should be agreed (or even voted by the big public) and then, no matter who came into power, they carried on implementing it until it was time for a review, rather than spending money and time messing things up and reinventing the wheel... And that's my rant for today.
Take care, Paul.

Freda said...

1 1954
2 1984
3 Iain M Banks
4 Culture
5 The Quarry

Debbi said...

Love it! :)

1. 1954
2. 1984
3. Iain M. Banks
4. Culture
5. The Quarry