Monday 21 February 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 21st February, 2022

21st February, 2022.


Did I mention Britain’s been hit by storms, over the past few days?

Most recently, by Storm Franklin: which has seen flood and wind warnings.

Something I can understand.

Rollason Way was a bit damp, last night.


This morning … ?

It’s just blowy … 


Hopefully, that means things are calming down.

~≈Ω≈~

When I came home, last night, the lights were on, next door.

I. think I’ve already mentioned this: but the last tenant moved out, some time ago.

The electricity?   Had been cut, a few weeks later.

After, as far as I could see, our landlord’s completed any refurbishment work on the place.

The one light that the workmen had last on?   Was decidedly off.

So, coming home, last night … ?

I definitely noticed every light was on.

On a Sunday: when workmen were — I think — unlikely to be around.

Personally?

I think someone new has taken on the tenancy, and has started to move in … 

We’ll see … 

~≈Ω≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on four.

The day also saw Trevor^ leaving us a message.


Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        The Cherokee Phoenix was first published on 21st February, 1828.   It’s the first newspaper in Cherokee.   And the first to use what: the Cherokee alphabet, Cherokee syllabary or Cherokee pictograms?

Q2)        During World War One, 21st February, 1916, saw the start of the Battle of Verdun.   The Battle was in which European country: Germany, France or Belgium?

Q3)        Reza Pahlavi seized control of Tehran, during a coup: on 21st February, 1921.   A coup, where: Iran, Iraq or Turkey?

Q4)        21st February is the feast day of Saint Peter Damien.   He’s traditionally depicted as a cardinal, holding what: a cheese wheel, knotted rope, or fork?

Q5)        Finally … ?   21st February is Feralia.   Feralia was a festival in Ancient where: China, Greece or Rome?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        John Glenn became the first American to orbit the Earth: on 20th February of which year of the 1960s?
A1)        1962.

Q2)        On which spaceship: the Apollo 9, the Friendship 7 or the Saturn 5?
A2)        The Friendship 7.   (The technical name was the Mercury Atlas 6.)

Q3)        The ship took roughly four hours and fifty-five minutes to make how many orbits: one, two or three?
A3)        Three.

Q4)        The Flight was part of Project what: Mercury, Gemini or Dragon?
A4)        Project Mercury.

Q5)        Glenn was the first American to go into orbit, and the third American into space.   Who was the first human to go into space: Valentina Tereshkova, Yuri Gagarin or Valery Bykovsky?
A5)        Yuri Gagarin.
Here’s a thought … 
“We never talked about men or clothes or inconsequential things we got together. It was always Marx, Lenin and revolution - real girls’ talk.”
Nina Simone, February 21, 1933 – April 21, 2003.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.





*        I don’t know if scary’s the word, Olga.   That rain, last night was … well, let’s just say I was grateful to get in!   Oh, South Yorkshire’s got yellow weather warnings, so you know!
        I might just have to check out Brideshead Revisitedmyself, some day.   I know it was much discussed.
        I’ve read I, Claudius, myself: I borrowed a friend’s omnibus edition.   (It’s two novels.  But you knew that.  :D   At any rate, and from what I understood?   Claudius’s Invasion of Britain had a central battle that took place in what Graves called ‘the Weald.’   But I don’t know if that’s what is now the Weald of Kent: or Weald Park, near me.)

        Hello, Mum!

        Sorry, Debbi, that was my fault!   You actually got 5/5: I’ve altered the scores, accordingly.
        Hang on … wasn’t Yurt Gagarin a camel merchant from Tajikistan … ?   (What do you call A camel with three humps?   Humphrey … )

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Cherokee syllabary (What a fascinating guy the one who came up with it)!

Q2) France

Q3) Iran

Q4) A knotted rope

Q5) (Ancient) Rome
Rosie Amber, the lady who runs the book review team I belong to, sent us an e-mail and mentioned that her parents (who live in Hampshire) had no electricity, and the area where they live has been badly affected.
Yes, do check Brideshead Revisited. I have "visited" Castle Howard, (the house playing Brideshead in the series) and it is a beautiful building. North of York. Absolutely gorgeous. Not surprised they have used it in a few other series and movies. (Oh, a more recent movie version is not bad either, but I prefer the series. It has all kinds of old and new glories in it: Laurence Olivier, John Gielgud, Claire Bloom, Jeremy Irons, Diana Quick, Anthony Andrews...) Oh, and Venice also makes a stellar appearance. And Oxford. Anyway... Yes, check it out at some point. I got my cousin and a friend, both born in the UK but had never watched it, to watch it, and they have become converts.
Hold on tight today. It sounds windy. And thanks for Nina Simone's song. She is fantastic.

Freda said...

1 Cherokee Syllbary
2 France
3 Iran
4 Knotted rope
5 Rome

Debbi said...

Oh, gawd. *groan* :)

1. the Cherokee alphabet
2. France
3. Iran
4. knotted rope
5. Rome

I actually drove my stick-shift car today. That is an accomplishment. :)