Sunday 20 February 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 20-2-2022: Into Orbit

20th February, 2022.


You know, when I made that intro video … ?

I’d just taken a quick glance outside: noting the fact that the trees in the area weren’t swaying in the breeze.

Please pay attention to the word, ‘weren’t.’

Of course, I’ve got Radio Four on: as ever, today’s service is a little too happy-clappy for my taste.

Well … not so much happy-clappy as AOR themed praise and worship songs.

Give that old time religion, and I’d possibly be complaining less.

At any rate, I was listening to Radio Four, when the weather report came on.

Yep … 

My part of the world’s now ended up with a yellow weather warning: for wind.


It’s getting blowy, again … 


~≈Ÿ≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on four.


The day also saw Trevor^ leaving us a message.


Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        John Glenn became the first American to orbit the Earth: on 20th February of which year of the 1960s?

Q2)        On which spaceship: the Apollo 9, the Friendship 7 or the Saturn 5?

Q3)        The ship took roughly four hours and fifty-five minutes to make how many orbits: one, two or three?

Q4)        The Flight was part of Project what: Mercury, Gemini or Dragon?

Q5)        Glenn was the first American to go into orbit, and the third American into space.   Who was the first human to go into space: Valentina Tereshkova, Yuri Gagarin or Valery Bykovsky?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        19th February is the 50th day of the year.   Is 50 a prime number?
A1)        No: it’s divisible by five, ten, and twenty-five.

Q2)        50 is the atomic number of what: indium, tin or antimony?
A2)        Tin.

Q3)        In a one day international, each side can bat for up to 50 overs. In which sport: cricket, baseball or rounders?
A3)        Cricket.

Q4)        A 50th wedding anniversary is what: silver, gold or platinum?
A4)        Gold.

Q5)        Finally … ? What’s the fiftieth state of the US … ?
A5)        Hawaii.
Here’s a thought … 
“To me, there is no greater calling … If I can inspire young people to dedicate themselves to the good of mankind, I’ve accomplished something.”
John Glenn.
And an orbit or two …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.






*        Grand plans, Olga: and flat packs.   If I remember the various documentaries I’ve seen, they had pre-prepared forts they could bring with them, when they were invading somewhere.   It’ wouldn’t take them long to put one up.
        I think Ma Biden’s no longer with us … but that’s a very good idea!   What is surprising, to me?   Is the amount of journalists who haven’t flat out mentioned the Iraq War to Boris Johnson: and asked if the claims Putin will invade are comparable to Blair’s claims about WMD.
        Hmmm … politics as soap … ?   Did you ever see I, Claudius, when you were here?   I saw one of the interviews Brian Blessed gave about the show.   One were he said he and the rest of the cast found tricky to perform until they started thinking about it as a cross between a soap … and The Godfather … 


        Hello, Mum!

        My pleasure, Debbi!

^        Yeah, I saw that float past on the Teletext, Trevor.   Any idea where in Brentwood it was … ?   It looks vaguely like Hutton.

4 comments:

trev-v said...

It was in Stondon Massey.

https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/gallery/storm-eunice-gigantic-tree-crashes-6685406

Olga said...

Q1) 1962

Q2) The Friendship 7

Q3) Three

Q4) Mercury

Q5) Yuri Gagarin
I hope the wind doesn't cause much disruption in your neck of the woods. I saw some of the images of the effects of the storm in the UK, and it looked pretty scary.
I did watch I Claudius (I'm sure we've talked about Robert Graves before), but when I was still in Spain. I loved it and was glued to the screen, as there were many people here. We did get many great UK TV series at the time, and I remember very well Brideshead Revisited, one of my favourites ever, although that was a few years later. (But I also remember talking to my fellow students about it, so everybody was watching it at the time).
I also have the I Claudius novels, but I'm aware I've only ever read them in Spanish, so at some point (?) I wouldn't mind reading them in English as well. Mind you, at the time the publishing companies had excellent translators (that is the case for the big publishers here still, but there are some disasters around as well).
Stay safe! (The press can have pretty short memories, it seems, at least these days).

Freda said...

1 1962
2 Friendship 7
3 Two
4 Mercury
5 Yuri Gargarin

Debbi said...

Which one did I get wrong? I put "no" for number 1, right? :)

1. 1962
2. Friendship 7
3. three
4. Mercury
5. Yuri Gagarin (auto-correct on my iPad wanted to rename him "Yurt"!)