Sunday 6 February 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 6-2-2022: The Queen.

6th February, 2022.


OK: confession time.

I made today’s intro video, when I had the radio on: and — at that point on a Sunday morning? — On Your Farm was on.

Complete with an Article about a family of dairy farmers.

With — I should add — cows.

Going moo.

Understandably: it’s a herd of cows, after all.

The reason I mention it … ?

Is that it still amazes me, what catches your attention on a Sunday morning.

~≈Û≈~

I’ve got to confess, I helped a friend out, this week.

By giving them some large-ish video files: on a USB stick.

He wanted to send them to a friend of his: via Dropbox.

However?   Something happened: the files wouldn’t play.

But DID … when I sent them to him through WeTransfer, and he downloaded them.

And also did so … when I sent them to two other people … but not to a third!

I’m thinking there’s all sorts  going on.

But the safest thing to say … ?

Is that somewhere in transit, those files got damaged, or corrupted.

Something’s gone wrong somewhere, in other words.

~≈Û≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum*, Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with everyone scoring five out of five.



Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        6th February saw Elizabeth 2nd succeed to the throne of the UK: on the death of her father.   In which year of the 1950s?

Q2)        She also became head of the what: the Commonwealth, the British Empire or Virgin Airlines?

Q3)        Who did she replace as monarch of the UK: George 5th, George 6th, or George 7th?

Q4)        On her death, she’ll be replaced by which of her children: Charles, Anne, Andrew or Edward?

Q5)        Finally … ?   She will celebrate her Platinum Jubilee in which year: 2022, 2023 or 2024?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        5th February, 1804, saw the birth of Johan Ludvig Runeberg.   He’s a well known poet from where: Sweden, Norway or Finland?
A1)        Finland.

Q2)        What did Mexico adopt, on 5th February 1917: its health service, constitution or currency?
A2)        Its Constitution.

Q3)        4th February, 1985, saw the Mayors of Rome and Carthage, sign a treaty that ended what: the First Punic War, Second Punic War or Third Punic War?
A3)        The Third Punic War.   2,131 years after the war actually ended.

Q4)        The Welcome Stranger was found in Australia: on 4th February, 1869.   The Welcome Stranger was a what: a raw diamond, a gold nugget or an open public toilet?
A4)        A gold nugget.

Q5)        Finally … ?   Robert Peel was born on 5th February, 1788.   He’s considered the father of the UK’s modern what: health service, police or army?
A5)        Police.   (Police were known as Bobbies, and Peelers, as a result.)
Here’s a thought … 
“It has always been easy to hate and destroy.   To build and to cherish is much more difficult.”
The Queen’s 1957 Christmas Broadcast.
Or two … 
“As we mark this anniversary, it gives me pleasure to renew to you the pledge I gave in 1947 that my life will always be devoted to your service.”
From the Queen Accession Day message.
We also have the Coronation: which took place in June …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        Hello, Mum!

†        You’re right, Olga: it does a little.   I think I have to practise archery on Sundays.   But I wasn’t thinking of that, I was thinking of the Crimean War.   I’ll try and dig the story up from wherever I saw it: but, from what I remember, it only officially ended when Berwick-upon-Tweed signed the relevant treaty.   Oh, and apparently, the Scillies were at war with the Netherlands for three-hundred and thirty-five years.
        Anything you can dig up about chocolate’s possibly a good idea!   And wish Little Anna well for me: it sounds like she’s got a LOT on her plate!

        Glad to be of help, Debbi: enjoy the package.   (It’s an SF icon, and the only surviving complete series.   The earlier two haven’t survived: the BBC abandoned telerecording it, after a fly got involved.)
        You know, I don’t know WHAT slang phrase gets used on the island of Ireland.   It wouldn’t surprise me if ‘bobbies,’ and ‘peelers,’ has been used: after all, the Republic was part of the UK when Peel was in Government.   But I couldn’t tell you about today: both terms are older.   And less used, from what I know.   
(All I CAN tell you is the Irish police are called Gardaí.)

5 comments:

Freda said...

1 952
2 Commonwealth
3 George 6th
4 Charles
5 2022

Freda said...

Your quizzers might like to know, because I'm so old, I remember in Primary school, our head mistress coming into each classroom to tell us the king had died. It sticks vividly in my memory, I was 8

Olga said...

Q1) 1952

Q2) The Commonwealth

Q3) George 6th

Q4) Charles

Q5) 2022
I'll pass your best wishes on to Anna. I think my comment about the chocolate was in the lines of, yes, it seems dark chocolate is much better for one's health, although I do prefer milk chocolate (not white, I don't like that one very much) and with nuts even better. Not that I eat it very often, to tell you the truth. In general, I did find English chocolates (at least the best-known commercial ones) very sweet, too sweet for my taste.
This morning's discussion was very interesting. True crime tends to be, and the authors talking about it were pretty amusing as well (it seems using an iron, an old-style one, not a steam iron, was quite a popular way of killing people here at the turn of last century).

Debbi said...

Wow! I have a similar memory of hearing about the JFK assassination while sitting in class. Fascinating.

1. 1952
2. the Commonwealth
3. George 6th
4. Charles
5. 2022 (and Wow! That's amazing!)

trev-v said...

I remember watching the Coronation live on the BBC. The pub at the end of the street that I lived in got in a Telly for the coronation and us kids from the local streets saw live television for the first time. I was 5 years old (just) and it was the first time that I drank alcohol in a pub. The sign board out side of the pub had different images on either side. On one side was one of the first jet airliners and on the other side was a celestrial body which comes near the sun about every 75 years. The name of the pub was "The Comet". It is still there and still going.