Wednesday 2 March 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 2-3-2022: Lou Reed.

2nd March, 2022.


Right … 

Bugger is possibly the word.

I was supposed to have a GP’s appointment, yesterday … which didn’t go ahead.

As my GP … ?   Phoned my mobile.

You know my mobile?

That one that’s fine … but doesn’t get a signal in my area because the local mast got taken down?

The one that sends people to my voice mail, when it can’t pick up a signal?

The one that I always miss calls on, when I’m out?   Because it’s in a coat pocket?

That one?

That’s the one she called on.   I got a text message about it!

I’m annoyed: partly at myself — I’m sure I reminded Reception to ask her to phone my landline, but possibly didn’t! — and partly at the surgery.

My landline, and the reason for using it, has been on the record for a couple of years.

Back to reception it is, then!

~≈🤖≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with everyone scoring five out of five.


Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        2nd March saw the birth of musician, Lou Reed.   In which year of the 1940s?

Q2)        He was a member of which Andy Warhol managed band: The New York Dolls, the Velvet Underground or Blondie?

Q3)        His second album is generally seen as his best.   What it called: Lou Reed, Transformer or Berlin?

Q4)        He married his third wife in 2008.   Who was she: Gates McFadden, Angie Bowie or Laurie Anderson?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Reed used Gibson SGs, Epiphone Rivieras and a Gibson ES-335.   They’re all electric whats: basses, guitars or banjos?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        1st March, 2022, is Shrove Tuesday.   It’s the day before Ash Wednesday, and the day before the start of what: Christmas, Lent or Easter?
A1)        Lent.

Q2)        1st March is the Feast of Saint David: the patron Saint of Wales.   Name either one of Wales’ two official languages.
A2)        Welsh or English.

Q3)        1st March is Beer Day. Where: Greenland, Iceland or Nova Scotia?
A3)        Iceland.

Q4)        Actress, Lupita Nyong’o, was born on 1st March, 1983.   Who does she play in the Star Wars franchise: Maz Kanata, Raksha or Chewbacca?
A4)        Maz Kanata.

Q5)        Finally … ?   1st March, 1692, saw Sarah Good, Sarah Osbourne and Tituba put on trial for witchcraft.   In a Massachusetts village called what: Salem, Salome or Salami?
A5)        Salem.   The place is now called Danvers.
Here’s a thought …
“Anyone that gets to side four is dumber than I am.”
Lou Reed, speaking of his Metal Machine album.

And some #music …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        I’ve got to admit, it’s the first I’ve heard of it, Olga^.   It looks … well, it looks like it’s doing a lot: there seems to be an email client and calendar built in.   It’s seems a little too large for my drive, about half a gigabyte: but it’s possibly something to go for, should I ever get rid of Firefox.   It got look efficient, and comes with a built in Ad blocker: the Wikipedia entry seems enthusiastic.

        Hello, Mum!

        I’m keeping my fingers crossed, Debbi: he does seems keen to get ahead … when he sits down for more than ten minutes … !   (I’m trying to persuade to record himself … I think that’s going to take a while!)

^        A lot of operating systems try and follow what they call the UNIX philosophy, Olga.   Including macOS.   The idea is that you have separate apps for things: a separate email client, that can add events to a separate calendar, and look things up on a separate browser, word processor, what have you.   Vivaldi having built in calendars and email clients looks odd to me.   It should work well with the Office apps you’ve got.

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1942

Q2) The Velvet Underground

Q3) Transformer

Q4) Laurie Anderson

Q5) Guitars
Thanks for the extra information, Pete. I'll give it some thought.
What a pain about the surgery and their call. Perhaps you should send them a link to your blog and the articles in the local press... (and when you physically go to the surgery, make sure they enter the right number and put a notice on your notes, so there is an alert, because people are far too busy and things fall off lists...).

Freda said...

1 1972
2 Velvet Underground
3 Transformer
4 Laurie Anderson
5 Guitars

Debbi said...

Yeah, recording oneself can be a bit intimidating. At first. :)

1. 1942
2. the Velvet Underground
3. Transformer
4. Laurie Anderson
5. guitars

Haven't heard this song in ages! :) #LouReed

Have I mentioned that I'm exhausted today. Knackered, actually! But still upright. And breathing. :)

Debbi said...

BTW, I'm reading the most awesome Doctor Who book ever. I probably mentioned it before, but it's worth mentioning again! I'll have to review it, at some point.