Wednesday 9 March 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 9th March, 2022.

9th March, 2022


It’s official: I want one.

Oh, at least, I’d like one!

Ahem!

You’re possibly aware I’m a bit of a Mac fan: I’m writing this on a 2017 21.5” iMac.

I’ve had a series of Macs since I got my first, a G4 PowerMac, back in the day.

So?   I tend to follow Apple’s product announcements with a certain amount of interest.

They made several, yesterday: a few new iPhones, a new iPad … 

And the new Mac Studio, along side a matching Studio Display: designed with the Studio in mind.

I’m impressed: by both.

But then, I usually am.

From what I can see … ?

Looking something like a chunky version of Apple’s Mac mini, and doing by the details Apple have released?

The Studio seems seems to have quite a bit of hardcore video rendering power for it’s size: it seems to be a  replacement for the iMacPro, rather than an alternative for the Mac Pro tower.

The latter, if I’ve understood it, is still incredibly powerful: even given it’s using the older Intel processors.

Given that?   I’m assuming it’s aimed at design studios, and the likes of professional YouTube broadcasters — Linus Media Group’s various offerings would be a good example, as would WhatCulture — that need to edit and render content, quickly.

It’s possibly a bit too over-powered for my needs: and doesn’t have a built in mic, something I’d need.

Bar that, it does have plenty of connectivity: four thunderbolt four, two USB 3 (Type A), ethernet and an HDMI socket on the back.

The base model has two USB C ports and an SD slot on the front: the M1 Ultra version replaces the USB C ports with a pair of Thunderbolt 4 ports.

For me?   It’s mic-less over kill.

But … ?

It’s very impressive mic-less over kill.

~≈Ë≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with everyone scoring five out of five.


Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1)        9th March is the feast day of Saint Frances of Rome.   She’s the patron saint of whom: car drivers, cheesemakers or salt grinders?

Q2)        Alexandra Bastedo was born on 9th March, 1946.   She played Sharron MacCready in which show: The Prisoner, The Champions or The New Avengers?

Q3)        The Space Shuttle Discovery made its final landing: on 9th March, 2011.   It had made how many flights: thirty-nine, forty or forty-one?

Q4)        The Burden Park Disaster took place, on 9th March, 1946: in the home ground of Bolton Wanderers.   Who were they playing: Stoke City, West Ham or Accrington Stanley?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Verdi’s Nabucco debuted on 9th March, 1842.   In which Italian city: Rome, Milan or Naples?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1)        8th March is the feast day of Felix of Burgundy.   He’s also known as Felix of where: Dulwich, Dunwich or Diss?
A1)        Dunwich.

Q2)        Queen Anne ascended the throne on 8th March, 1702.   She was the last monarch from which House: Stuart, Tudor or Windsor?
A2)        Sturt.

Q3)        The phrase ‘evil empire,’ was used to describe the USSR: on 8th March, 1983.   By whom: President Jimmy Carter, President Ronald Reagan or President Joe Biden?
A3)        President Ronald Reagan.

Q4)        8th March, 1945, saw the birth of singer and drummer, Mickey Dolenz.   He was a member of which 60s band: the Beatles, the Monkees or The Bonzo Dog Band?
A4)        The Monkees.

Q5)        Finally … ?   8th March, 1930, saw the birth of Baseball player, Bob Grim.   He was a what: pitcher, catcher or short stop?
A5)        Pitcher.
Here’s a thought …
“You have no idea how stand-offish I can be with people I don’t love.   I have brought it to a fine art.”
Vita Sackville-West, 9 March 1892 – 2 June 1962.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.





*        Yeah, I’ve been trying to keep up, Olga: what with running my YouTube channel, And helping Jude with his!   The 17th’s going to be a fairly vanilla set: rather than the usual Saint Patrick’s day set.
        I’ve got to admit, I had a look at the Gat’s Wikipedia page: the place looks amazing.   And has a poster by Don Pablo, himself: apparently, left over from the exhibition he held, there.
        It, yes: I’m definitely enjoying the book: it’s hypnotically written, and the characters … ?   I can practically see them!

        Hello, Mum!

‡        That technically makes you a Smeghead, Debbi!   Being a fan of Red Dwarf, that is?   I have to admit, I could never quite get the hang of the show.   At it’s height, it’s was hysterical … but I always felt there was something lacking!   These’s the occasional good tune, though.   (Craigs Charles got his start as a performance poet, you know.)


4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Car drivers

Q2) The Champions (I’m not sure it ever made it to Spain, and I don’t think I’d ever heard about it before).

Q3) 39

Q4) Stoke City (When I was working at a private hospital in the outskirts of Manchester, I know we’ve talked about it before, we used to have education meetings at the new football stadium of the Bolton Wanderers, evidently nowhere near where the tragedy happened. Quite a fancy place).

Q5) Milan

Oh, a blogger shared this, and I thought of our recent conversation (the piece of news won’t be out until Thursday or Friday on the radio, but I’ll try to remember to share).
https://spookymrsgreen.com/2022/03/07/toy-review-playmobil-city-recycling-truck/
Do keep me posted on Shadow of the Wind. It is so sad that the author died so young. A terrible loss.
Here, on the top left, you can see the football team as it was on Sunday (at least to begin with).
https://twitter.com/sants3radio/status/1500867049161170945

Freda said...

1 Car drivers
2 The Champions
3 39
4 Stoke City
5 Milan

Debbi said...

I'm not surprised. I always loved Cat. :)

1. car drivers
2. The Champions
3. thirty-nine
4. Stoke City
5. Milan

Debbi said...

He's good! I like him. :)